The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Need your help on two of my 2020 projects, hoping you can assist.

1. Have a broken 130G glass aquarium. Back panel broke. I have the tank glass all apart and was wondering if I can remake the tank but with a back plywood pane with pond armor or waterproofing rubber paint. Could you please help me in telling me if that even possible and will it hold strong for years. Also can the plywood panel be bit bigger than the back panel. I think if a bit bigger, I can silicone on both sides.

2. DIY canister filter but with with input and output 4 manifolds. Would like to run 4 tanks from one DIY Canister filter. I know there is risk of having a setup like this. These are all guppy and mollies, and I have tonnes of fry, planning to separate the sexs. But I can't make them to work all together. Only one of the tank works at a time while other stops. Have a vivo sun 520gph pump with
With all 29g tanks kept side by side.

Looking forward to your responses and help.

Best Regards,
Shivam Dixit

·
Banned
0 Posts
Could you? Yes, but not for the “years” you mentioned. There’s a 130 gallons of why I wouldn’t try to use wood in that tank. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that’s an in-home natural disaster waiting to happen. Ply doesn’t have a smooth enough surface. It will likely leak from the edges within a short time. It also bends when pressure is applied, so you can expect a heavy flex outward, which will create further problems with your seals. You could coat the ply to water proof it, but one tiny scratch of a rock, gravel, or while cleaning, will give your tanks shelf life about one more half hour—the wood will saturate, and lose any rigidity it had left. You will never sleep at night if you put plywood as your back panel. I’m not about to tell you it absolutely CAN’T be done, because with enough experience and knowledge of the wood-working trade, people can do amazing things with the right equipment. BUT if you’re looking for an easy hardware store solution, I’m here to tell you wood is not the answer. A pane of glass that size and at least 3/8 inches, will probably cost close to 500 dollars, but you can order them online, or possibly at local glass store.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I am not sure if you can as I have not tried it, however, people do make plywood tanks with just glass on the front. You might want to find info on that.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Plywood tanks are a thing, but not a single panel. You need 4 of the 5 sides plywood covered in epoxy (like pond armor or west system). Then you put the glass viewing window in a kind of frame so the water pressure holds it against the plywood frame. You do not rely on silicone holding a tank like this together because it wont bond as well to epoxy as it does to glass. So yeah, don't do a single panel as plywood.

Similarly a canister filter really shouldn't go to more then one tank. The reason you are experiencing problems is the water pressure is going to be different from tank to tank based on hose sizes etc and water will always take the path of least resistance. Plus the potential for flooding is VERY real and even likely because again, water will flow back to tanks based on the path of least resistance which will almost certainly be 1 of your 4 tanks and not exactly all of them equally.

The cheap way to do multiple tank filtration is sponge filters and a single air pump.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts