The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i have been setting up my NPT for a long time now, making sure the water parameters are just right and my plants are growing good. Well the other week i found a leech in it!! And i am positive they are leaches because it stuck its self to my finger and when i looked at pictures on google i found it right away! The only possible way for the leeches to get in would have been on my plants. I hane no live stock in there and nothing came from the outdoors. I tore the tank apart last night and found three more leeches just on the plants. I did a 20 min soak in potassium permanganate and still had leeches clinging to the leaves. What else can i do to rid my plants of these leeches and their eggs?

Id like to try and get it set back up today, so any advice would be helpful!

Thanks!
Jasmine

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do believe that this was the kind of leech, however it was very small still but had the same kind of spots when looked at close.

http://www.leeches.biz/medicine-leech.htm

And I didn't want to wait, so I tore the tank up. I had the tank up with the plants for two months so in theory you could starve them, but with the leeches came snails so they could have been snacking on them, who knows. The reason I didn't disinfect my plants was because the only thing I thought in had to fear where snails, and i was planning on picking them out as I saw them.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I do believe that this was the kind of leech, however it was very small still but had the same kind of spots when looked at close.

http://www.leeches.biz/medicine-leech.htm

And I didn't want to wait, so I tore the tank up. I had the tank up with the plants for two months so in theory you could starve them, but with the leeches came snails so they could have been snacking on them, who knows. The reason I didn't disinfect my plants was because the only thing I thought in had to fear where snails, and i was planning on picking them out as I saw them.
sounds good in theory but you can't even pick out snails when you see them because by that point, there is eggs clinging to everything. lol. Once you got snails, you got snails. Its like herpes.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Snails are by no means the only thing to fear. Leeches is a new one on me. Hyrda, and other not so fun planaria (though most are harmless some are not) are another thing, as well as certain forms of algae that are a real pain. I cant say I have been the best at it, but a good disinfectant soak would be in order. The problem have is that it always seems to kill back a good chunk of the plants. As to snails, good luck. The only way I got rid of them was to "join them". Got some spixis, and they ate the rest.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.