The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the time being I'll have the single 48" t5ho old hagen glo fixture from the 75 I'm taking down over it when I get it, but I was thinking about getting it some new lighting. My comfortable limit is about $150 for what I wanna spend. Any suggestions?
I was looking at the fugeray planted+ or current USA satellite+ or also ecoxotic led strips.

·
Registered
243 Posts
How about a diy? I love doing LEDs! I've become addicted and the looks r stunning! Just built one for my 120 planted and started with my 5 gallon sps reef that was the experiment. Very easy to due and get a lot more bang for your buck! Ray at ASO has amazing product and service!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How about a diy? I love doing LEDs! I've become addicted and the looks r stunning! Just built one for my 120 planted and started with my 5 gallon sps reef that was the experiment. Very easy to due and get a lot more bang for your buck! Ray at ASO has amazing product and service!
Where would I get started to do that?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Me????? Or my helper with my build mark! Or ray at aso, shoot him and email! Look at my post...I just did a bump.....mh to led!!!help!! Or something like that is the title. I'll look at a setup for you. Need some more tank info. LxWxH, canopy or hang or feet for mounting the light? Honestly you could almost mimic mine or mark's setup. Maybe down size the number of LEDs a little. We went over kill a little with our heatsinks, fans, etc. I'll see what I can conjure up for your budget, hard cause I usually just start with a budget but then end up doubling it! Hahaha wife swears divorce every time I start my hobbies

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Me????? Or my helper with my build mark! Or ray at aso, shoot him and email! Look at my post...I just did a bump.....mh to led!!!help!! Or something like that is the title. I'll look at a setup for you. Need some more tank info. LxWxH, canopy or hang or feet for mounting the light? Honestly you could almost mimic mine or mark's setup. Maybe down size the number of LEDs a little. We went over kill a little with our heatsinks, fans, etc. I'll see what I can conjure up for your budget, hard cause I usually just start with a budget but then end up doubling it! Hahaha wife swears divorce every time I start my hobbies
I have access to a commercial aquarium supply website with wholesale prices, I was thinking of getting some led strips and hooking them up to a current USA pro digital ramp timer. It'd put me sorta close to my target price range but if there's some diy that would be the same/better for cheaper I'd be up to the task.

It'll be a standard 90 so I think that 4'l X 18"w X 2'h? Not quite sure, but currently it'll be no canopy so I'd have to hang or go with legs. I do plan on getting a canopy in the future.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It'll have a lot of driftwood, was thinking a few Madagascar lace plants and some sort of carpet plant and maybe something else to mix it up a bit.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Well $180 would get you an awesome starting point. That's for two 40" heatsinks, 2 cooling fans, power supply, fully dimmable controller, and infinite upgrade options. The controller gives you 4 dimmable channels, 2 channels are just on or off for fans or moonlights and 24 LEDs. For the $30 extra I think you'll survive.

·
Registered
243 Posts
This is mine for my 120 I just built and I have been missing so much color and detail in my tank prior to this light it's crazy! kinda copied mark's setup and you could copy this too but just run two heatsinks tubes instead of 4. I have like 72 LEDs I think and three moonlights.
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well $180 would get you an awesome starting point. That's for two 40" heatsinks, 2 cooling fans, power supply, fully dimmable controller, power supply and infinite upgrade options. The controller gives you 4 dimmable channels, 2 channels are just on or off for fans or moonlights and 24 LEDs. For the $30 extra I think you'll survive.
Is the controller timed?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How would that stack up to a 48" current usa satellite plus for $80 cheaper?
Believe me, if it's that much better that I should spend some more on it I will definitely save a bit longer for something better.

·
Registered
243 Posts
It would destroy that fixture! That light is simply for looks, it is only 30 watts of output for the 48" strip using 12v. To me that's way way to low. Your getting 1/3 of a watt per gallon! With the 24 kit I'm suggesting at 3w a piece you'll be pushing .8 so closer to 1 watt a gallon plus you can upgrade and add more LEDs as you budget allows. With the current satellite your selling that and starting all over if u don't like it. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It would destroy that fixture! That light is simply for looks, it is only 30 watts of output for the 48" strip using 12v. To me that's way way to low. Your getting 1/3 of a watt per gallon! With the 24 kit I'm suggesting at 3w a piece you'll be pushing .8 so closer to 1 watt a gallon plus you can upgrade and add more LEDs as you budget allows. With the current satellite your selling that and starting all over if u don't like it. Just my 2 cents
This makes sense. I like your idea. Where to buy all of the parts?

·
Registered
243 Posts
The fans are Silent!!!! The wind going thru the tubing has a minute howling but it's due to my bolts, etc that it's passing by. Plus mine are a lot longer tubes than you'll be utilizing. If I wanted I could fix that but it's so minimal I'm not concerned with it.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Probably do 4 violet 420nm, 12 6500k whites, 4 4500k whites, 4 3000k whites, then add reds later if u want. That's just a ballpark. I'm no color rendering expert but I personally would probably start there. Wouldn't hurt to ask ray, he is the pro. Let me know what he says if u decide to do or ask him

1 - 20 of 24 Posts