The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I be able to used my reef light for planted tank? Or it is too much light? What you guy think.

·
Registered
188 Posts
You can but for the sake of lighting up the tank. Won't do good for the plant. The spectrum in reef light differ from planted light.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Meh,

I have DIY led lighting with multiple channels at different wavelengths. I can turn the whites and reds off leaving only the royal blues on (450ish nm) and make my plants pearl if i turn them up to 100%. Both plants and corals have chloraphyll. Sure there might be an optimal balance in spectrum and I doubt my plants would be happy with only 450nm for a long period of time(the fish were freaked out too) but it's not like plants won't grow from a reef light.

I think a 20k light over a planted tank would look terrible though. Especially red plants. A 10k light would be ok if there isnt too much PAR.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Some reef lights work perfectly fine for a fw planted tank. 10000k spectrum, crosses over into the reef world, will work great.

·
Registered
12,842 Posts
Some reef lights work perfectly fine for a fw planted tank. 10000k spectrum, crosses over into the reef world, will work great.
10,000k and actinic in a 1:2 ratio.. Plants grew fine.. Tank was ugly.. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts