The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Had a quick question regarding lighting for my silly little 1.5G tank that I hope to keep shrimp in. It's going to be a low light/no CO2 tank...pretty much as simple as it gets. (even no heater as it stays 70+ year round in my room).

I came across this little desk lamp from IKEA. It's an LED light with the following information that I could dig up on it.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20169658

Temp: 2,700 Kelvin
Energy Consumption at 4.2W

My question is, would this work for a small 1.5G tank with shrimp, perhaps some moss or other low light plants? I'm not sure how LEDs work in relation to planted tanks...if energy consumption equates directly as it does with incandescent bulbs, etc.

I'm under the impression that temperature really is an aesthetic issue rather than a technical one in terms of PUR and plant growth. Would that be correct?

At $10, I went ahead and bought it as I really need light where this little tank has been sitting cycling for a while. The light is quite "yellow"...probably the 2700K. But it works great as it has a low profile and look sort of sophisticated compared to bulkier desk lamps.

I'm hoping some of our resident LED experts can help me out here. Thanks!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply gofast.

To be honest, I was surprised by the amount of light it provided. It is definitely not a ton of light.

Of course subjective observations won't give me a definitive answer but it does light up the tank quite well. I suppose I could try it out, see if growth is acceptable or not..if the shrimp pop (visually lol) or not. $10 isn't much and I could see many non-aquarium uses for it too.

I was just hoping to avoid having to use the wait and see approach lol.

Ideally, I'd like a small CL light that produces some great white color to bring out the greens in the plants. This light, despite not having anything but gravel in tank, will probably just diffuse everything with its yellow-ish tint. But I haven't been able to find a small lamp that doesn't cost an arm and a leg or look like a traditional desk lamp - not the best looking ---- all without giving me something like 10 wpg lol.

The tank is on a small shelf in a large book case. Because of this, there's not much vertical height to use a large light at a higher height to get lower PAR. Light will invariably be about 11"-12" max about substrate.

The only alternative I'd found is the following from Finnex...

http://www.finnex.net/index.php?opt...ge.tpl&category_id=4&product_id=260&Itemid=61

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.