The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

This is my first planted aquarium. I'm looking to start it up with low to low/medium plants. I don't have specific plants I'm interested in but I don't want to get into CO2 for my first attempt.

I have a 20g w/dimensions; 24L x 16H x 12W.

I'm still learning PAR/Watts/Lux/Lumens, but think I should be considering the Finnex FugeRay Planted+, or the Marineland Adv LED Strip, or Aquatic Lighting System? Or maybe something else?

Thanks in advance (I've learned so much from this great community already).
J

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi lylelovett. Hope how are doing? I like your music. Large Band is Bad&^% music. On to the question. All of the information about LUX and such is very good to know. But I would not be too worried about that. It sounds from your question that you are buying equipment buy the piece and not in an aquarium kit where you get "all" that is needed. First of all, buy the best equipment you can afford. LED lights are expensive. But in the long run they are cheaper than florescent lights. Why? Bulbs burn out for one thing. Another you will have to change the blues every 6 months. Just because the light looks bright doesn't mean the properties of the light are good for the plants. As for what I use. Fluvial plant and fish are the LED light I use. Just by the size of your tank top. The are bright. They come with a dimmer for both blue and white lights. I do not use CO2. But Seachem's Excel plant nutrient uses a liquid type of CO2. Some say that it is just as good as CO2 tank. Others just the opposite. I do use Excell. Flourish and with Iron are a good choice for nutrients. Iron keeps your red plants red. Another piece of equipment is the canister filter. With a hang on back there is some water movement. The canister has a lot more. Water movement is good for the plants. You put nutrients in the water and they have to move all around the tank to get to the bottom of the plant. Canisters move the water around very well. You could have a hang on back filter and than run a power pump on the wall . But my buy both? You're probably tired of me now I babbled long enough.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hmmm the Excel route sounds interesting...

I have all the other equipment I need except for lighting (and C02) at this point.

So I guess my specific question is which LED lighting set up do I need for low to low/medium plants w/o having to really deal with CO2.

I'm looking at the Finnex Fugeray - I'm worried the Planted+ will be too high of PAR for my tank?

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Hmmm the Excel route sounds interesting...

I have all the other equipment I need except for lighting (and C02) at this point.

So I guess my specific question is which LED lighting set up do I need for low to low/medium plants w/o having to really deal with CO2.

I'm looking at the Finnex Fugeray - I'm worried the Planted+ will be too high of PAR for my tank?
in a "cost is no factor" world a dimmable/programmable LED is the way to go to not only take care of current desires but future uses..
a Current planted plus pro meets that criteria..

There are others at higher price points and there are ways to "adapt" others to this for a fair price w/ a modicum of skill..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.