The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to start a 24" cube project and this time I want to use LEDs for this purpose. There are many new brands and lamps of LED lighting but most of them are for reef tanks, so they mostly combine white with blue LEDs , the blues being useless for planted tanks.

What kind of LED bulbs, pendant or lamps is best suited for planted tanks right now?. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
If you are interested in a DIY rig, I have a 23" cube with DIY LEDs (link in my signature). It's overbuilt....way overbuilt.... and unnecessarily eccentric. I only need half the number of LEDs I have in it, and I only needed whites with a few blues.

In general, look for something that uses LEDs that are under 10,000K color temp. A very good combo is either neutral or cool white (4000-6500K) combined with a few royal blues (460nm, give or take).

Roughly 5 whites to 1 blue is what I like (if run at the same power) but that's totally subjective. The plants don't care. Blue is VERY powerful for photosynthesis as long as it's not horridly unbalanced and smurf-blood blue.

·
Registered
345 Posts
For the dimension you have I don't think you can find a fresh water LED easily so I will suggest you to DIY as well

I agree with Redfishsc, in that you the combination of neutral white and cool white is good for FW and planted tanks if you are using Cree and the are driven with dimmable drivers.

I build this fixture for my 18x18x18 cube in 1 hour in a LED workshop.
[/url] Flickr 上 WingoAgencyRS1.0 Fixture on a 18x18x18 cube IMG_2036[/IMG]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts