The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm getting a new tank. 125 gallons 60X18X26. I was hoping the last number would be smaller but that's all they had. I've been researching lights for days and after PAR and customer reviews my brain finally broke. I'm at the point now where I just want someone to tell me what to get. I'm doing low-med light plants and I'd like an LED system that isn't going to cost me an entire weeks pay. I'm moderately DIYable so after market tweaks could be possible. I'm even playing with the idea of draining then blacking out the top 5 inches of the tank and creating a false canopy so the lighting can be downgraded. I also saw submergible LED mini strips that could be mounted down the front corners of the tank but I have no idea how that would look or if it would even do any good. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Only wanting low/medium lights will make life easier for you, but I've noticed many common LED systems stop at 48" long, and that may make things tougher.

·
Registered
423 Posts
not sure what a weeks pay is for you, but I am going with a build my led fixture, you can hook them up to dimmers if it's too much light and they come in a 72 inch length.
I have heard good things about them.

I would not drain the top half of the tank, unless you want to add emergent plants, otherwise that would be a shame :(

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Why not just get a 100g tank? Beats draining anything off. A slightly smaller tank can help keep down cost too. Guess I don't understand finally getting the tank it sounds like you wantedbut having to sacrifice things you shouldn't have to due to cost in lighting it. You can get a single BML, as many do for that size tank and easily get what you want, but they cost around $400.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I looked into BML and its exactly what I was looking for! jrman you were right on the button with the $400. More than I wanted to spend but it's made in America and has great customer reviews so I went for it. I originally wanted a 100 gallon 60X18X21 because it would fit perfectly in my dining room. 26" Is higher than I'd like but it was the only five foot tank I could seem to get my hands on. Now that I found a light that will penetrate deep enough I don't have to worry about those top 5 inches. Thank you all for your help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts