The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay everyone, so here's my problem. In about a couple weeks I'm going to be moving and that means I have to break down my 40 gallon tank, which is okay becuase I'm upgrading to a 55 gallon tank. The light I have on my 40 gallon has worked really well, It's a aqueon LED modular lighting system. It's nice becuase you can switch out the LED light bars for different colors and it has really done a good job at keeping my plants happy....only down side is theres a 3 inch gab where the LED's dont reach across.
Now with my 55 I'm not sure if I should stick with that same light system or go with something different all together, I'm also kind of woundering to what everyone runs for lighting on their 55's. I have been looking into the current USA, Finnex planted+24/7 and the orginal. The plants I have now are amazon swords, java fern, anubius, money wart, and water sprite. Any feedback would be great.also here my tank as of now.....

Attachments

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
The 55 is longer, deeper but narrower by about 6 inches.. so width is no problem, but I assume you are referring to the dead spots on the ends
due to the covering of the "tube" fittings..
I see no listing of wattage or any "light" metrics either..

: Amazon.com: Aqueon LED Aquarium Light Fixture, 48-Inch

anyway do you have a budget?
style? (hanging/on top)
static or dynamic? (timers/fade)
color preference (hot/warm)
color change?

Fluval LED 48-Inch
http://www.marineandreef.com/Fluval...RHG13999.htm?gclid=COvcip3WgMsCFdgWgQodNuYMeg
35 watts/ 84 LEDs
Color Temperature: 3,000K to 25,000K
2400 lumens
Amazon.com : Fluval LED 48-Inch Daylight/Plant Lamp, 46-watt : Aquarium Lights : Pet Supplies
Wattage: 46 W
Lumens: 3,475 LM
just some examples..

·
Registered
167 Posts
Beamswork makes low cost LED lighting. I bought a 48" fixture with 160 .5 watt LED's for $56. For the quality of the lights this is a really good bargain, and the one I bought is right on the edge of being too much light for a low light set up. I think you'd be able to go with the lower powered version for your low light set up, which I'm assuming is your goal from your usage of the Aqueon LED's.

Aqueon brand products are somewhere close to the bottom rung of the quality ladder as far as I can tell. I don't see the products in any of the 10 lfs I go to, only at Petco and PetSmart.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well heres a little more information on what I have. I have a glass top and the light just sits on that and now for watts the light itself uses a total of 15 watts and I got this information from a thread I started when I first got the light....For the Aqueon Modular LED fixtures, the PAR ratings are as follows:
20” Fixture
1 tube – 8
2 tubes – 17
3 tubes – 26

24” Fixture
1 tube – 11
2 tubes – 22
3 tubes – 33

30” Fixture
1 tube – 11
2 tubes – 23
3 tubes – 35

36” Fixture
1 tube – 13
2 tubes – 27
3 tubes - 39

48” Fixture
1 tube – 13
2 tubes – 27
3 tubes – 41

Those were taken at 12" from the light.

Now for a budget no more then $200 for the light....I have been looking at beamworks but never heard of how well they do.
the way I have my tank setup right now is I really never have to touch it due to me being a college student. The Ehiem 2217 filter really makes a difference on cleanings and I have a auto feeder on it. The light does run on a timer, the only time I do touch the tank is to do water changes.
Thank you for the responses everyone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.