The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tank Dimensions: 48"L x 18"W x 24"H

Ok guys, here's my question. I went in to a local retail store and came across an LED T8 tube that could fit into my current setup (with minor electrical work, removal of the ballast) and it got me thinking about whether or not I should give it a try.

The brand was Viribright. Now it did not state par readings but I'm still interested. What do you guys think.

Additional I recently picked up two shop lights or clamp lamps for my tank and I was wondering about the possibility of using screw-in LED bulbs. Again an opinion here is required.

Lastly, can Lumens or Footcandles be equated to PAR readings? I asked because I was able to get my hands on a light meter but it only reads Lumen/Lux and Foot Candles. I wanted to use the data collected to make a determination as to what my real light intensity is/was.

Thanks, all discussion is welcomed.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Ok question one, do you at least get wattage on the LED T8? If it's less than 20W and a 48" tube, it's probalby going to be really dim. Secondly, I've never encountered one of these, but are the LED's all pointing one direction, or are they just all over the place? If it's option 1, then yes this could work, but if option 2, then this would be really no better than a flourescent tube, probably less lumens in fact.

Screw in LED bulbs work great, You don't really need the clamp lights (with huge reflectors) with them, as you can get spot light type bulbs with optics, and they send all the light forwards, not all over the place.

Hoppy has a DIY on making a Par meter using what I believe is a LUX meter, you might have to use some conversion factor, look up the thread.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
There are a couple of drop in LED tubes for fluorescent fixtures. One requires the installer to remove the ballast. Be sure to read the instructions.

Those type of drop in replacements are intended for general office lighting and waiting areas. Not task lighting. They are not going to be suitable, for much, over an aquarium.

Screw in LED "bulbs" come in corn cob, and flood light styles. For an aquarium you want the flood light style. We use a ~$35.00 12 watt white LED flood light over our sink. At roughly four feet above the sink, the LED light illuminates about 60 inches of counter. It would work well for a 48" cichlid tank.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
@ James1542
The LED bulb is 20W and the LEDs are all pointing downwards through a diffuser. Unfortunately the LUX meter isn't mine and I've already returned it so i cant go about rigging up a PAR meter with it.

@ [email protected]
Yes, the type I was looking at was self ballasted. Would the flood light you were referring to work for a planted tank, as that's my goal.

Additionally could anyone recommend a good brand to try?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hmm sounds like you'd have to remove the diffuser from those tube LED's, but 20W is not bad, I'm guessing you'd need at least 2 of them for your tank, but maybe more like 3-4 if you want high light.

Referring to the screw in flood lights, you will get ripped off at the box store retailers on them. Home depot will charge around 40 bucks for anything with more than 10 watts-and if you think your going to find anything producing more than maybe 1000 lumens there your wasting your time.. I recently got a 3x3W led screw in for 4.50 shipped to me off ebay, and it's amazing.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm sounds like you'd have to remove the diffuser from those tube LED's, but 20W is not bad, I'm guessing you'd need at least 2 of them for your tank, but maybe more like 3-4 if you want high light.

Referring to the screw in flood lights, you will get ripped off at the box store retailers on them. Home depot will charge around 40 bucks for anything with more than 10 watts-and if you think your going to find anything producing more than maybe 1000 lumens there your wasting your time.. I recently got a 3x3W led screw in for 4.50 shipped to me off ebay, and it's amazing.
Saw one of those ebay deals but i was wondering about the light spread on those units.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Hi gtturbo I purchased a tank like yours but less long, mine is 36" X 18" X 24" high.

I would like to know how it turns out for you. I am still looking myself at the lighting options, I want low-med light.

How many of those are needed that's what I am wondering myself.

I was looking at those led lamps myself, but did not decide yet.

Michel.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi gtturbo I purchased a tank like yours but less long, mine is 36" X 18" X 24" high.

I would like to know how it turns out for you. I am still looking myself at the lighting options, I want low-med light.

How many of those are needed that's what I am wondering myself.

I was looking at those led lamps myself, but did not decide yet.

Michel.
Well Michel, we'll find out together. I'll be starting a Tank journal of my 90G and try take as many pictures as possible.

·
Registered
506 Posts
The one I got for 4.50 looks just like the E27 in the upper right of that picture, it's a 9W in 6500k. Very cool white color. It has optics that really focus the beam so there isn't much spread on the beam, One would probably illuminate a 10x10" area from 12-16" above.

Found these on Ebay. I'm gonna order them and see how they work out.

Does anyone have advice to offer or opinions, if so please share.

·
Registered
506 Posts
The flood light fixtures look something like this, there are numerous threads on here regarding them, even some par data:

I'll agree they are kind of an eye sore, battle ship grey, kinda industrial looking. You could always dress them up. Painting them black would go a long way. But they have a ton of bang for the buck. The 10 watt round flood light, which I have one of- is pretty snazzy looking though.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The flood light fixtures look something like this, there are numerous threads on here regarding them, even some par data:

I'll agree they are kind of an eye sore, battle ship grey, kinda industrial looking. You could always dress them up. Painting them black would go a long way. But they have a ton of bang for the buck. The 10 watt round flood light, which I have one of- is pretty snazzy looking though.
In my local vernacular (Bajan), " Wah I like um!" lololololol

Translated means that I like it, i actually like them alot. Now i need to figure out where to purchase them from. Off to ebay I go, on this lovely morning.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
AH Supply now sells a LED replacement bulb for T8 lights, if you can find it on their website - I couldn't find it this time. There is enough data on the PAR it produces to make it a very useful alternative. Someone posted about it here or in one of the other TPT forums.

·
Registered
6,821 Posts
Hi sdm,

A 17 watt LED lamp that is 4 foot long isn't going to give a lot of usable light. Ideally you would have at least two or three times that amount of output to give reasonable PAR levels.

Hoppy is correct that AH Supply makes LED Lamp arrays, however they are in a compact florescent configuration. Here is the thread that I posted on the LED Lamp arrays and here is the link to the AH Supply page where they can be ordered. The good news is they operate on 120VAC so no ballast or driver is required.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Also, those T8 shaped LED bulbs can't just be plugged into a fluorescent light fixture. You would also need to rewire the fixture to remove the fluorescent ballast. The bulbs operate on 120 VAC, not on the high voltage, high frequency output of a ballast.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I did not even remember that I made this thread before ....

Anyway, after trying the CFLs for a few months, I'm not happy with the performance at all, coupled with the fact that I'm using a lot of electricity for these poor results.

I went searching around again and I'm back on the LED replacement bulb idea, see following post http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=451793

If any replies are to be made, please place them in the above thread so I can easily follow and respond if necessary.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.