The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aloha everyone, I'm new to this forum but not aquariums. I've found all 16 pages of this thread to be very helpful. I have an ADA 90p (36''x18''x18'') that I just changed to an Iwagumi layout (with CO2).

I believe the plants require high light (HC & Glossostigma). The foreground is 2-3 inches but as you can see the background is much higher. The current light setup is an ADA Grand Solar I (with C02). I really like this light but I think it's time to replace it with something that is more energy efficient & produces less heat. I like to look down into the aquarium from above therefore I'm leaning towards a fixture(s) that can be suspended at different heights as opposed to a fixture(s) with mounting brackets/legs. My concern is that I have enough PAR to blanket the entire tank. If money weren't an option I would probably go with a GroBeam 500 (x4) or GroBeam 1000 (x2) setup. But let's face it...money is always a concern. I've narrowed my selection down to a few different lights. I have several questions that I was hoping the guru's could answer.

1. Ecoxotic Stunner LED strip 18w 36''
A. How many strips (with reflectors) would I need?
B. Is there a suspension kit or a way to hang these?

2. AquaUFO + Red 90w 10''
A. How many units would I need?
B. This seems to be the best value. Any pro's or con's?

3. Finnex Ray II 29w 36''
A. How many strips would I need? Finnex recommended 2.

4. Current Truelumen Pro 29w 36''
A. How many strips would I need?

Which setup would you go with and why?

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I have an ADA 90p (36''x18''x18'') t
1. Ecoxotic Stunner LED strip 18w 36''
A. How many strips (with reflectors) would I need?
Each emitter is only 1/4 watt. In my experience with other brands, that will not give the depth penetration you need.
Reflectors aren't useful with LEDs. Optics can be very useful.

2. Aqua UFO + Red 90w 10''
A. How many units would I need?
B. This seems to be the best value. Any pro's or con's?
This one uses 2 watt emitters. One unit will work for your tank, but for better or not, you'll have light spill over on the floor.
The reef units make a salt water tank look great.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.