The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Either the price has dropped or there are some crappy LED grow lights out there:

you can buy a four pack for around $70 or so on eBay, or 3 red and 2 blue for about $150.

I must say that I am very tempted.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Has anyone tried these light? This guy is selling 12 lamps for $149+shipping, come to less than $15 per lamp, and according to the seller, one lamp is good for one sq ft. So for my 6ft tank, I could use 6 of those to maintain plant growth and use my fluorescent lights for viewing etc., Love to try them, but would I be the guinea pig in using this brand of led lights?

http://cgi.ebay.com/LED-Grow-Light-...ryZ42225QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Gro-Tek provides state of the art grow light systems.

This Auction is for a TWELVE PACK of 66 LED bulbs (#RB66)
Full spectrum light bulbs without sockets for 110 VAC operation.
Offers Full 'Summer' light spectrum!
Perfect mix of Red and Blue grow lighting all in one bulb!

Sockets not include in this auction

Our grow light systems use new wide angle LED's which provide a larger area of light saturation than do other LED grow light systems. Our grow light systems are designed to be water resistant so they can be easily used with any watering system since we use water resistant LED's in a glass casing! Our LED grow lights emit virtually NO thermal (Heat) radiation so plants can grow right up against them without any harm. Gro-Tek is your advanced horticulture solution.

LED grow lights have many advantages over traditional plant growing lights. The LED lights utilized by LED grow light systems are specifically tailored to emit the parts of the light spectrum plants need to flourish. Plants only use about 9 percent of the light emitted from halide lamps while LED's are nearly 98% efficient for chlorophyll production! LED grow lights emit virtually NO thermal (Heat) radiation that can burn your plants. In fact plants LOVE growing right up against the LED's soaking up all of the perfect wavelengths of light being emitted. They also have an extremely long lamp life lasting over 150,000 hours (well over 15 years of continuous use for these newest 3rd generation lights). Our grow lights are covered by a 10 year warranty! If one burns out, send it back and we will ship you a new one. Enjoy a 95% reduction in power consumption over HP Sodium type lighting. Many plants grow bigger and faster under LED grow lights than they do under ALL OTHER traditional types of grow lights. LED grow lights will save you time and money and is the wave of ALL future growing to come since no wavelength of light goes wasted! Almost all of the LED's energy is used for chlorophyll production and this is a high technology first for any type of grow lights!

GROWING WITH LED LIGHTS
(Usually works well for both low and high light plants)

Our solid state grow lights have been designed for one reason: To grow plants effectively and affordably. And they do, because the most important part of our design process has always been growing plants.

How many lights do you need?
For each 4 square foot area you will need
Four of our #RB66 LED Red/Blue lights .

Now for plants grown in windowsills only blue light is needed since most window glass filters out only the Ultraviolet and Blue light wavelengths while allowing the Red light to pass through. When using RB66 lights we recommend that it be in a growing area not in direct sunlight like a Garden window for instance.

This is why plants grown in windowsills turn yellow due to lack of the Ultraviolet and other essential Blue lights wavelengths.

Plants can be manipulated by LED's too! Providing excess Blue light creates faster greening and stem growth while enriching dark chlorophyll production while excess Red light promotes fruiting, seeding and flowering since the plants think winter is coming. The Sun puts off more red and less blue light in the fall so manipulating plants is VERY easy when you have lights that put off VERY specific wavelengths! This is perhaps the most important part of LED growing,,, the fact that YOU are in full control of the light wavelengths!!! You can force the plant to react to your needs and you can't do that with ANY other kind of grow lights!!! Being able to manipulate the red and blue wavelengths will give indoor growers a new found control over their corps. In the case of growing Cilantro premature "bolting" or flowering is a big problem but with LED's you can just add some extra blue light and any "bolting" instantly stops!!! Try that with HID lighting. The RB66 LED light bulb series provides a perfect balance of both Red and Blue light so that the spectrum resembles the high noon Sun of the summer growing season.

SEE SELLER's OTHER AUCTIONS FOR INDIVIDUAL RED AND BLUE LED LIGHT BULBS.

Note: Use LED's as a supplement to your metal halide HID lamps by adding
more Red or Blue to the total light in your growing area thus controlling flowering and increasing growth.

Model #RB66 Red/Blue Mixed LED Grow Light (12 PACK)
Housed in a high quality water resistant GLASS casing!
Balanced mix of both Red and Blue LEDs offering a complete light spectrum.
5 Watts each, 66 LED count offers FULL summer light spectrum mix, 120 volts, 3.75" wide x 4 in. deep , each.
They fit in any common light socket (E27). Sockets NOT included in this auction. Light bulbs only.

·
PT Biologist
3,220 Posts
The Solar Oasis bulbs are not just 'red and blue' they are centered on the wavelengths that are used for photosynthesis. This makes them very dim to our eyes, and very bright to the plants. My aquarium still has that same set up and when the PC fixture I was using for white light burned out for a month, the plants keep growing like gang busters under just the LEDs. When I brought the crypts home from Europe I set up a seed flat and humidity dome with a spare LED bar for them, they are growing wonderfully under just this light.

I do not know what the wave lengths of those other bulbs are, but the Solar Oasis fixtures are right on the money.

I bought my fixtures from them, I actually paid extra to have that one over the aquarium cut down to a size I specified.

·
Registered
322 Posts
This would concern me:

..keep in mind that an LED grow light has to be closer to the plant in order to absorb enough light to be equal to HID types

Reading that and seeing the pictures with the bulbs right on top of the plants, what impact would that have on plants in the mid and lower parts an aquarium?

Ted

·
PT Biologist
3,220 Posts
As far as I see, none, the foreground plants in that tank are growing great, Ranalisma rostrata and Crypt parva. I can tell you that the people I send the Ranalisma to are always happy with the plants.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.