The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.exotic-aquarium.com/led.html

This is a local company and i have seen these in person and they are pretty bright. I have one in my little 5 gallon shallow tank and it seems to be growing my sword just fine.

But I been reading and hearing that these guys arent the best for plants...Im concidering modding my 12 gallon jbj nano with these. I been looking for PC bulbs for them and they want over 60+ so maybe this will be a cheaper alternative...

·
Registered
93 Posts
I am not understanding how they could be all that bad for plants. If you get the white LEDS, the light would be between 6500k and 10k. Which is well in the range of the light that you would want.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
darn it !! everything in that video look nice , even the lady in there ..:)
yeah I met her, and the hecka other girls there. she is ok.

BGJ223: I should of rephrased that, I read that there are some led strips that just suck in which there are maybe 20 leds compared to these strips at the store.

I was under the assumption that the "k" reading is only for the human eye where as the spectrum of the light is whats for the plants, am I wrong?

·
Registered
93 Posts
yeah I met her, and the hecka other girls there. she is ok.

BGJ223: I should of rephrased that, I read that there are some led strips that just suck in which there are maybe 20 leds compared to these strips at the store.

I was under the assumption that the "k" reading is only for the human eye where as the spectrum of the light is whats for the plants, am I wrong?
Well Yes, and NO.

Here is an article which is pretty long winded if you ask me about color teperature.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_temperature

Basically. When you heat something up to 10k "K" meaning Kelvin. The item emits a certain color. In this case more in the white to blue range. So that explains the color.

Now the part we care about also is the wavelengths of light for our plants.
there is a shift in the wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation emitted from low wavelength red light to shorter wavelength bluer light.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
This is starting to get interesting. They list a 48" light for $139.99. That's quire reasonable presuming the product is as advertised. I hope they hit some shows so the trade press can evaluate the product properly.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the owner, creater TIM told me that its his patent. They sell other style lights too...the ones that grow weed lol. First thing he asked me "what kind of plant you growin, the lookin good or the feelin good" hahah

Tim is a very nice guy, i orderd mine when they first came out so it took 4 months. Now he has them avalible but upgraded with a intergrated heatsink accross the back of the light. Its nice cause it runs directly off of AC current with no ballast, however id retro a inline fuse in the lighting canopy.

He has a few that are the first prototypes that work but they dont look as pretty as the ones he has now, he was selling those to me for like 50 bucks....awsomely cheap, but i have no where to use 24'' lights lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts