The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking into lighting options for a 55g tank. I am curious it and what LED's can be used to give proper lighting for a med to high light planted tank? If this is doable is it cheaper to make my own or purchase a pre made light?

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I've been lighting my 75g for over a year with two DIY panels. Each has twelve 3 watt emitters. Plant growth is excellent. I use a mix of warm white and cool white. Each driver is a cheap ~$12.00 unit. One of these days, I'll swap those for a dimming driver. That is the only electrical change I plan on making. Except for the aluminum, cost was under $100. Today that would be under $65.

On one panel, too near an air stone, the solder connections oxidized. When I rebuild it, I'll be adding a Lexon splash guard. It still works electrically, after touching each joint with a hot soldering iron, but looks like crap from the pollutants carried up by bubbles.

I got all my information from this site.
Particularly read the threads (use the search feature or use google and confine the search to plantedtank.net) from Hoppy and other 55g tanks.

The one thing I will say about LEDs that is negative regards sizing or scaling.
I find it easy to light a large tank but challenging to correctly light 10g planted tanks. I think 1 watt emitters may be more useful for small tanks. That will be a project for this winter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.