The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Looking for suggestions for lighting for my new 75. I would like to be able to keep any plants i want give or take. Planning to run CO2 also. I was looking at the FLuval 3.0 and getting one now and adding another a few weeks down the road. i just want to make sure its enough. Coming from the reefing world im used to tons of light so im a little out of my element still.

Would two of these be considered "High Light" on a 75?
https://www.amazon.com/Beamswork-FS...locphy=1028224&hvtargid=pla-469116347226&th=1

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Probably, in that you would be more then 50 ppfd at substrate in most of the tank. That said while the DA FSPEC is probably the cheapest high light option out there the quality of the light is not great. I have 2 on a 40 breeder and the light they produces is much more blue in color then other freshwater lights. If that doesn't bother you then you should just go that route and buy a couple of the inline dimmers that work with them and you should be go to go. However since you come from reefing background I'm sure you are familiar with spending ridiculous money on lights. So if that blue cast is going to bother you then its probably best to set a budget and go from there.

·
Captain
3,614 Posts
Looking for suggestions for lighting for my new 75. I would like to be able to keep any plants i want give or take. Planning to run CO2 also. I was looking at the FLuval 3.0 and getting one now and adding another a few weeks down the road. i just want to make sure its enough. Coming from the reefing world im used to tons of light so im a little out of my element still.
Coming from the reefing world I'm sure you are familiar with EcoTech lighting. I am currently running (2) of the Radion XR15FW lights on my heavily planted tank https://www.marinedepot.com/ecotech-marine-radion-xr15fw-pro-g2-led-light-fixture-freshwater. If you are further interested, my build thread is listed below.

The Fluval 3.0 are nice lights and with the Bluetooth app, are much more user friendly with regards to color of lighting, light duration, and intensity - something I find important to me.

A pair of those lights would likely give you what you need to begin with. My only negative with them applies to all strip lights - they have to be moved to do tank maintenance.

Another option on the higher end would be a pair of the Kessil 360x tuna sun lights https://www.kessil.com/aquarium/freshwater_A360X.php

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I dont think i would want the blue look on a plated tank i think that's more of a reef look. I also
Maybe i will jut stick with the Fluval3.0 for less blue and better quality

Bump:
Coming from the reefing world I'm sure you are familiar with EcoTech lighting. I am currently running (2) of the Radion XR15FW lights on my heavily planted tank. If you are further interested, my build thread is listed below.

The Fluval 3.0 are nice lights and with the Bluetooth app, are much more user friendly with regards to color of lighting, light duration, and intensity - something I find important to me.

A pair of those lights would likely give you what you need to begin with. My only negative with them applies to all strip lights - they have to be moved to do tank maintenance.

Another option on the higher end would be a pair of the Kessil 360x tuna sun lights https://www.kessil.com/aquarium/freshwater_A360X.php
Yes i am familiar with Eco Tech lighting and maybe im wrong but it seems like overkill for a planted tank? Wouldnt a reef style light need to be turned way down for a planted tank? Making it a waste of a quality but expensive light?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Try these out. Buy 2 to get started. If you want more light get two more. They have the best spectrum capability I have ever seen on one light. I am able to make them grow medium light corals even.... I highly recommend them not only for their superior growing capabilities, but their design and quiet running nature is a huge win. The fans keep it cool while staying quiet, I mean whisper quiet.

You need to buy the arms also for light like these.

https://www.amazon.com/Electronics-...&qid=1609941877&sprefix=hm+el,pets,167&sr=8-1

·
Captain
3,614 Posts
Thanks for the info. I dont think i would want the blue look on a plated tank i think that's more of a reef look. I also
Maybe i will jut stick with the Fluval3.0 for less blue and better quality

Bump:
Yes i am familiar with Eco Tech lighting and maybe im wrong but it seems like overkill for a planted tank? Wouldnt a reef style light need to be turned way down for a planted tank? Making it a waste of a quality but expensive light?
Really depends on how far down the rabbit hole you want to go. My freshwater version of the Radion lights (different color spectrum from reef version) are running most of the channels pretty high. There are a few of us running well over 100 PAR on planted tanks with great success. A few more are pushing the 200 PAR envelope :grin2:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Really depends on how far down the rabbit hole you want to go. My freshwater version of the Radion lights (different color spectrum from reef version) are running most of the channels pretty high. There are a few of us running well over 100 PAR on planted tanks with great success. A few more are pushing the 200 PAR envelope :grin2:
Me :grin2:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow ok didnt realize you could run that high of light on plants. Still going to be a bit out of my price range for this tank though

·
Captain
3,614 Posts
Wow ok didnt realize you could run that high of light on plants. Still going to be a bit out of my price range for this tank though
From Dennis Wong's site, one of his personal tanks. Assuming an average size adult, you can get a good idea just how far his arm is into the tank. I would assume that PAR meter is in more that 12" of water - more likely 16 to 18" of water.

EDIT: Ok, guess PAR reading was taken in this tank.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
I am currently running two Finnex 24/7 ALC's on my 75 gal. It is a good amount of light. I have it set to 80% at its max light level. It is producing good results. At its max brightness it is a bit on the white side of things, but it can be changed to have higher red if that is wanted. They are a decent price as well. from what I have seen, these are a limited run, they lost the supplier of the LED's after making this run of lights, and if they cannot find another these will be it.

https://www.amazon.com/Finnex-Plant...b4f53&pd_rd_wg=lESW2&pd_rd_i=B0812MYYS3&psc=1

·
Registered
14 Posts
I run the Beamsworks DA FSPEC (DAylight Full SPECtrum) Pent on my 75, and on my 40b. I like the color because it's nice and white, and makes colors show true. I would describe the color as white, near daylight. When compared to a 6500K fluorescent, the 6500K look greenish yellow. The DAFSPEC is definitely bluer than the 6500K, but I wouldn't describe it as blue. At the price, if one isn't enough, get two. Or even three! I use the brackets provided with the light, sprayed black. I also made a shade for the front of the light so that light doesn't spill out the front. I ran a piece of 1/4 x 1 1/2 plastic trim through the table saw to fit the channel that the light's legs slide into. I trimmed the ends with a knife to match the shape of the legs, and sprayed it black. It slides into the channel on the underside of the front of the light. I don't see any light when I'm sitting on my couch.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Probably, in that you would be more then 50 ppfd at substrate in most of the tank. That said while the DA FSPEC is probably the cheapest high light option out there the quality of the light is not great. I have 2 on a 40 breeder and the light they produces is much more blue in color then other freshwater lights. If that doesn't bother you then you should just go that route and buy a couple of the inline dimmers that work with them and you should be go to go. However since you come from reefing background I'm sure you are familiar with spending ridiculous money on lights. So if that blue cast is going to bother you then its probably best to set a budget and go from there.
I have the Beamworks DA FSPEC and actually prefer the light temperature over the Vivagrow 24/7 that I replaced them with the beamworks on my 75g. My only complaint is the CRI is not as good, but I can easily correct that in Photoshop. I find most daylight RGB LEDs too yellow for my liking when viewing. But this is personal taste.

·
Registered
12,218 Posts
I run the Beamsworks DA FSPEC (DAylight Full SPECtrum) Pent on my 75, and on my 40b. I like the color because it's nice and white, and makes colors show true. I would describe the color as white, near daylight. When compared to a 6500K fluorescent, the 6500K look greenish yellow. The DAFSPEC is definitely bluer than the 6500K, but I wouldn't describe it as blue. At the price, if one isn't enough, get two. Or even three! I use the brackets provided with the light, sprayed black. I also made a shade for the front of the light so that light doesn't spill out the front. I ran a piece of 1/4 x 1 1/2 plastic trim through the table saw to fit the channel that the light's legs slide into. I trimmed the ends with a knife to match the shape of the legs, and sprayed it black. It slides into the channel on the underside of the front of the light. I don't see any light when I'm sitting on my couch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Curious what you guys think about the finnex 24/7 hjc 48-inch. Tank is about 24 inches deep. Also running a basic aqua sky light. Is this enough for carpeting plants?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am currently running two Finnex 24/7 ALC's on my 75 gal. It is a good amount of light. I have it set to 80% at its max light level. It is producing good results. At its max brightness it is a bit on the white side of things, but it can be changed to have higher red if that is wanted. They are a decent price as well. from what I have seen, these are a limited run, they lost the supplier of the LED's after making this run of lights, and if they cannot find another these will be it.

https://www.amazon.com/Finnex-Plant...b4f53&pd_rd_wg=lESW2&pd_rd_i=B0812MYYS3&psc=1
I just bought 2 of these for my 75 gallon. Not a high tech setup and just starting to plant my scape, but the coloring from the lights are awesome. Glad I went with the Finnex ALCs I debated for about 3 weeks and finally pulled the trigger, wish I had done it sooner!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ended up going with the Fluval 3.0 Going to start with one and then add second on shortly after. And hey its from amazon so if I don't like it ill just send it back hahahaha

1 - 20 of 23 Posts