The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into replacing my 2 fluorescents (t8, 25 watts and t12, 30 watts) on my 30 gallon low tech tank with a LED fixture. Dimensions of the tank are 36"L x 12"W x 16"H (~14 inches of water and~2 inches of substrate). I currently use a glass top on the tank to keep my cat out, which cuts down on light transmission.

As I haven't any experience with LED's, I am looking for specific recommendations for this low tech low/med light system.

Thanks!

·
Registered
13,131 Posts

·
Registered
13,131 Posts
If you are referring to the plus pro, you can set max output. You can run it at any level.
That is why I suggest them more than anything else....

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Have you considered the expense versus the amount of light you'll get from 30 watts' worth of LED? They sell 5000K daylight LED PAR38 floodlight bulbs for about 1/3rd to half the cost of a dedicated tank LED lightbar. Two 120 watt halogen incandescent equivalent, reflector LED bulbs at 15 watts each would probably do just fine and would preserve the low tech ambiance.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Well the parabolic reflector ones could be installed just like spiral compact flourescents, and would work in their place. The A19 ( globe style) 60 to 100 watt equivalent types would work also with a reflector clamp on hood shop or worklight.

The downside is they all would all need to be in pendant installations, so if the overhead space is limited, it might not work as well. The other option if you really want to keep an old school look, would involve the A19 types in an old incandescent aquarium hood fixture with reflective tape on part of the inside.

Remember that even though these are LED bulbs, they still radiate a small amount of heat while working, usually near the screw in base part, some ventilation will be a benefit.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. I like the idea of the floodlights, but think the ease of a striplight fixture is probably more realistic right now. I don't need all the programming options or a remote control that these LEDS come with for the tank in question. In the experience of forum members, would something like one of the Beamswork fixtures be worth a try? There is a 36" 30 watt one (0.5 watt LEDS) that I was looking at.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm going to second jeffkrol on the Current Plus Pro.
The option of dialing in 1% to 100% of the intensity is really nice to have. I run them lower, and everything can be programmed. They're pricey, but if I ever to go high tech I won't have to upgrade the lighting,

I have a 3 of these fixtures now.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, all. I appreciate the suggestions.

I doubt this will ever be a high tech system; if I want to go that route I would likely use the empty 75 gallon in the garage (which would need a 48 inch light).

I am primarily curious about LEDS, plus it is difficult to find replacement bulbs for the 36" t-12 fixture.

·
Registered
215 Posts
You will have the power to go high tech if you want to with a Satellite Plus Pro. I recently tore down a pretty successful low/mid tech system that was lit with a Satellite Plus (not Pro). I had great growth on anubias, crypts, swords, and wisteria using just that light and excel + ferts. I was very happy with the quality of output from the regular satellite plus, but did want better options for scheduling, which you get with the plus pro.

-Justin

·
Registered
40 Posts
will 30 watt be too much?

You will have the power to go high tech if you want to with a Satellite Plus Pro. I recently tore down a pretty successful low/mid tech system that was lit with a Satellite Plus (not Pro). I had great growth on anubias, crypts, swords, and wisteria using just that light and excel + ferts. I was very happy with the quality of output from the regular satellite plus, but did want better options for scheduling, which you get with the plus pro.

-Justin
would a 30 watt LED fixture b good for a 23 gallon tank having 15 " depth ?...a low tech setup at that?...wouldn't 30 watt produce algae issues?....should i go in for a 2 x 10 watt LED floodlight option?.....sorry for bumpin in...but have the same issue....thanks in advance...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.