The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I am very new to the planted world I wanted to give everyone a little inside on LED colors. I have been building LED units for reef tanks for two years now and have used about everything out there. In my experience I prefer the Rebel ES line over anything out there. While CREE makes a very good LED I prefer the color rendering of the Luxeon Rebel line.

Cool White - Was a standard until NW was tested. Very bright and efficient but dull in warmer colors. It is good to mix a few of these in with NW for planted tanks.
Neutral White - The new standard for white ( In my opinion ). A much more natural color that brings out warmer colors.
Warm Whites - VERY warm. Some people have used them here and there but not very effectively. Mixing them for planted tanks looks decent but adding to many is VERY yellow/warm.
Royal Blue - A must have for reef . When your working with cool white or neutral white is the go to blue. Over planted tanks you can add a pop to the greens/reds. I prefer running these around 200-350mA if not a little lower.
Cyan - VERY green unless you are able to choose your exact binning. They can bring some wicked colors out but leave an awful green shadow everywhere. Even when clustered closely I would not recommend these to the average DIYer. Remember the specif color LED's do a VERY good job at that one color. Adding a few can really over power a tank.
Red - Forget about it. Let the neutral whites do their job.

Combos and ratios that have worked for me of planted tanks.

12 LED Array
6 - Neutral White ( Running higher than the blues )
4 - Cool White
2 - Royal Blue

24 LED Array
10 - Neutral Whites ( Running higher than blues )
6 - Cool White
6 - Royal

Hope this helps. Again this my opinion after doing a TON of testings. I know this all subjective but I have built my fair share of LED units now. ;)

-Dave

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
These were done with a local with a spectroradiometer. This was NOT taken from a datasheet, all were actually tested!

These were more for reef tanks but gives you the gist. For the NW/RB/RB combo take most of the high blue out and that is your NW graph.

Hope this helps!

-Dave

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did not snap photo's but I will have them shortly. I picked up a new DSLR and waiting on a certain lens to come in. I'll post some more info this afternoon.

-Dave

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CREE, Rebel/Luxeon, Bridgelux. Pretty much anyone out there. You just need to look for certain binning so you dont get a cooler NW.

-Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts