The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received an LED light fixture as a Christmas present, and while I am very happy with the gift and the thought, I now need to see if I can actually use it or if it needs to go back. Naturally, I would very much like to keep it. =)

I received the Green Element MHX48 with 64 LED lights, 6500K and 3W. The fixture is 48" long and has 4 rows of 16 lights to get the 64 total. The unit has the option to run 2 or 4 of the rows (32 vs 64 lights), and both sets of rows have a low light option where a total of 8 lights are lit (4 lights on each of 2 rows). So I can run it with any of the following total number of lights: 8, 16, 32, 40, or 64.

My tank is low tech, low light. It's a 90-gallon 48 long x 18 wide x 24 high. I loosely dose PMDD, but am lazy and forgetful and tend to dose 1-2 x weekly, with Fe once or twice a month. I also dose the DIY Flourish Excel, a bit more often then the ferts at ~3x weekly. I have a moderately stocked community tank with tetras, angels, SAE, danio, cory, etc. The planting is also moderate with anubias, hygrophila, nymphaea, micro-chain sword, assorted crypts, and one unidentified and floundering Echinodorus.

The fixture will most easily sit on top of the tank, which puts it 23" above the surface of my substrate. So can anyone tell me if and/or how I can accomplish the lighting needed for my setup with this fixture? I like to have a couple (~2) hours in the morning followed by a siesta then a few more (~6) hours in the evening. I can elevate the fixture as needed, but there is limited space to do that so I would rather keep it 23" up from the substrate.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Substrate tabs for root fertilization and run the light with just the 32 diodes. Still might be 2 much light. Those lights are bad about spot lighting as well. Might have 2 hang it higher to get more even light distribution.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys - I will try the 32 lights as is with a few hours AM and a few PM. If the algae starts making a comeback, I can try to reduce the light a little by covering the tank with plexi and/or elevating the light.

I have root tabs for the sword, but they don't seem to help him much. His variety may require high-light, or at least higher than I've been supplying. Teach me to buy a plant at the LFS.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts