The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got some oak leaves off aquabid that came with the package, and I have seen ads for mulberry leaves here, so can you use any type of tree leaf or are there some you should stay away from?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i dont understand why people buy tree leaves off the internet. just look out your window, im sure within a 3 block radius you can find half a dozen oak trees.
I didn't buy the leaves they came with the fish and other things that I bought :)

I to wonder why people buy leaves when there are all kinds of trees around,just didn't know if there were some kinds of tree leaves that were better than others or if there are some that are not compatible with a aquarium/fish set up.

·
Registered
727 Posts
So I got some oak leaves off aquabid that came with the package, and I have seen ads for mulberry leaves here, so can you use any type of tree leaf or are there some you should stay away from?
I think just about any oak leaves are safe. Here is my old 5-gallon with locally collected oak:

If you are using it as a top layer in substrate though be aware it catches fish mulm and diatoms like crazy...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm ok,

Just curiouse because I have family in Iowa and they have a ton of black walnut trees there,was going to have them send a box to me since they are probably some on the ground about now,we still have to wait a while before our leaves fall.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Hmm ok,

Just curiouse because I have family in Iowa and they have a ton of black walnut trees there,was going to have them send a box to me since they are probably some on the ground about now,we still have to wait a while before our leaves fall.
that's probably a good way to kill your fish.

black walnut trees have a toxin that they release. while what i'm reading says that leaves can be used for compost as the toxin is nullified in the air within a few days, i wouldnt risk it in a closed system like an aquarium.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Any kind of oak. They're good because they don't break down as fast as thinner, more tender leaves like maples, poplars.

EVERY place in North America has oak trees within driving distance. Google 'oak species (insert state)' and find out what lives near you. Scout some possible sources as you drive to work, church, the grocery, etc.

Collect a big trash bag full when they're freshly fallen (a windy fall day), and get enough for a year.

DO NOT use any kind of conifer: pine, spruce, fir, juniper, cypress, etc. They have volatile organics which can pickle your fish! If you can't find oak, stick with any other hardwood except black walnut and wild cherry. They have secondary compounds that are toxic.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.