The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

I am a long time aquarist who is experiencing an unseen plant reaction... the leaves of my Anubis are turning white and then turning fibrous and leaf becomes shredded. (See pics)

I thought my albino pleco was eating, but have had him in another tank for over a month and the leaves are still deteriorating. Only other eating species are four Nerite snails.

Backdrop...
75 gallon
Re-Established late Spring 2020 (I moved)
Heavily planted
CO2 (new for five months)
FErts - Macro 2x week
Micro - 2x week
Iron - once a week
Potassium - once a week
Recently added Phosguard

Plants: (sorry, don't know real names)
Swords
Jungle val - spiral & flat
Crypts
Various Anubis

Note: I am new to CO2 and it created more algae than I have ever had before, but did make all my plants bigger!

Within the last month, I did a two day blackout in effort to control BBA and Brown algae. Result - killed most BBA.... and did a great job on the Brown algae (although it seems to be coming back).

I have tried several different photo periods. My lighting is adjustable. I have changed the length as well as the intensity, but I can't say I have come away with a conclusion other than intense light has made the algae worse.

Any thoughts to why my plants are shredding and/or comments on my approach to algae and BBA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I HAVE been "cleaning" the leaves of algae! Thank you! I hope that is all it is and it's all my fault, not my albino pleco's. Poor fellow, he's been in a tank all by himself!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.