The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the simplest way to keep a low tech-low light planted tank? Is it possible to not dose at all? I am planning to make a 10 gal shrimp tank, so I'd also like to be careful with dosing so as not to kill the shrimp.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I had a 10g with a 27w CF desk lamp perched over it for quite a while. I pretty much ignored the thing. I tried to change out 50% of the water every 4-6 weeks (though I forgot as often as I remembered), and I'd occassionally remember to add some Excel and some dry ferts. Worked great with the low light plants (Anubias, java fern, and the like) that I kept in there.

It can definitely be done. Just don't get the itch to try the fancier plants :hihi: !

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
It is possible. Both my shrimp tanks contain mostly RCS, some amano, and Bamboo shimp. In addition, I also have otocinclus in both of them. One of the shrimp tanks even has 2 L-046 zebra plecos and an L-183 starlight bristtlenose pleco. In both tanks, the plants are doing well and all I do is just perform water changes and feed the fish.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a 10g with a 27w CF desk lamp perched over it for quite a while. I pretty much ignored the thing. I tried to change out 50% of the water every 4-6 weeks (though I forgot as often as I remembered), and I'd occassionally remember to add some Excel and some dry ferts. Worked great with the low light plants (Anubias, java fern, and the like) that I kept in there.

It can definitely be done. Just don't get the itch to try the fancier plants :hihi: !
That's really funny, cause I got tired of my 13W strip over the tank, and I also have a 28W CF desk lamp sitting over it. Right now, there's a little bit of dwarf sag and some java moss. I'm getting some marsilea minuta soon. (I'm not gonna lie, it didn't look bright enough, so I scrounged up every crappy incandescent lamp I could find abandoned by my roommates and I pointed it at the tank.) Not the prettiest, but my money's being spent on the 55 gallon tank right now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts