The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had the Gulfstream Tropical AGU00529 Ista Max Mix Co2 Reactor Large for about months now. It has recently started leaking at the top. What can I do to prevent the leak? I have tightened the Clamps I used, but alas, that has no effect. This is the only part leaking.

I'm not sure if it's the hose, the fitting, or what at this time. I still have it connected as the leak is extremely slow and I have a bowl underneath. I also have GBR spawning, so I don't want to mess with it during the day.

I'm open for options such as DIY CO2 Reactors that are easy to make. This thing never fully diffused the bubbles (1.5 BPS) anyway.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump:

Silicon Sealant also didn't seem to do the trick. The fitting attachment seems to be the problem.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I had a problem with a plastic reactor similar to the one you had, the problem I had it the "nipple" on top where you attach the co2 in line was damaged and had a fine crack in the plastic that couldn't not be repaired. I tried several things, it may seem that you will just need to replace it unfortunately. I usually don't like to suggest people to buy new things instead of fixing what they have, but from past experiences with co2 equipment it is often best just to replace it then spend the time and money attempting to make a repair, since the system runs under preassure it can be very hard to get a patch to hold. I have swapped from plastic diffusers to all glass diffusers and have not had a problem with one since, except the one I broke by mistake.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Aquarist what did you switch to?

I think we came to the same conclusion, the think is just junk. I have another one that also started leaking. >.> That is a smaller tank so I just replaced it with an atomic diffuser. Now what to do about the show tank.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I swapped to a glass pollen style diffuser by ADA. I recently broke the down stem portion of this and I am thinking about going with a GLA Atomic+ 75mm with built in check valve. I like the glass style diffusers but would hate to break another one they are expensive! A lot of people are going to suggest a inline diffuser, I like seeing the bubbles in my tank and it also helps me visually know when my co2 is on.

Here is the diffuser I am thinking about getting.

The diffuser I have and what it should look like.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have the large mix max and the medium. The plastic isn't the best and is easy to fracture. I haven't had this experience with mine though.

I used PVC cement glue on the bottom caps, and I applied it to the 5/8 adapters. Finally after clamping my hoses on i applied some PVC glue to the ends of the hoses as added insurance. Never had a leak in either unit.

I use the blue glue pictured on everything I have tied to my tank externally plus it's only 99 cents. I don't trust cheap plastic products which the Ista max mix is at $8-$11 each.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@randpost thanks a lot for the help.

Unfortunately, when I took the thing a part, it looks like the CO2 intake cracked and the leak is actually coming from that.

·
Registered
304 Posts
@randpost thanks a lot for the help.

Unfortunately, when I took the thing a part, it looks like the CO2 intake cracked and the leak is actually coming from that.
Sorry to hear that. I wouldn't risk running that even with a repaired crack. Just not worth it.

Sent from my Nexus 5

·
Registered
789 Posts
@randpost: How do you open up the thing to clean it now?? Mine gets bio film on it after a couple months like the canister hoses. On mine, I just use teflon tape on the threads so I can still open it up and do maintenance.

·
Registered
304 Posts
@randpost: How do you open up the thing to clean it now?? Mine gets bio film on it after a couple months like the canister hoses. On mine, I just use teflon tape on the threads so I can still open it up and do maintenance.
I don't see any build up as of yet. My canister keeps the flow into the reactor clean at least thus far. If buildup ever does happen I will just replace the reactor. I currently have 2 extra reactors that I added to cart when they were on sale at Dr Fosters to reach free shipping on my last order. I still think that my canister media setup will free me from any reactor maintenance.

Teflon tape just doesn't give me that secure feeling with this particular product and the poor quality of plastic and threading. I'm probably more paranoid than you when it comes flooding :)

Sent from my Nexus 5

·
Registered
789 Posts
Oh I share your sentiment with being nervous about flooding! You really do have to be careful with that end cap. I have on occasion tightened to much and jumped the threads, always worried that something cracked or stripped but it hasn't. A couple wraps of the teflon tape make me feel better and hopefully is actually adding to the seal.

Nice yours doesn't gunk up. I've cleaned mine a couple times, maybe every 2-3 months I can see that the inside is pretty coated with brownish bacteria? like what happens on my hoses.

What is your filter media setup like? -Can PM me if I am distracting from the original thread topic.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Oh I share your sentiment with being nervous about flooding! You really do have to be careful with that end cap. I have on occasion tightened to much and jumped the threads, always worried that something cracked or stripped but it hasn't. A couple wraps of the teflon tape make me feel better and hopefully is actually adding to the seal.

Nice yours doesn't gunk up. I've cleaned mine a couple times, maybe every 2-3 months I can see that the inside is pretty coated with brownish bacteria? like what happens on my hoses.

What is your filter media setup like? -Can PM me if I am distracting from the original thread topic.
This is all on a 29 gallon with about 24 gallons of water inside, so I am hugely over filtered, but the Aqua Clear 50 will be moved to a 20 gallon long I am setting up for breeding so the bacteria seeding will be faster. Currently my filtration is rated at 900GPH total.

from bottom to top for first canister (4 tier): inline reactor

Coarse foam
Coarse foam
prefilter ceramic rings
full tray of bio balls with center cavity for foam inserts
full tray of biomax
fine filter
fine filter
finer felt filter pad
100 micron felt pad
500 ml Purigen - 4 bags spread out to cover the whole tray

From bottom to top for second canister (3 tier): inline UV, and heater

Coarse foam
Coarse foam
Prefilter Ceramic Rings
biomax
fine filter
fine filter
finer felt filter pad
100 micron felt pad

AquaClear 50

Coarse Foam
Filter floss
Purigen 100ml bag
Biomax

My filtration improved the most when I purchased bulk 24x24 filter pad sheets from Dr. Fosters. It's cheaper and works better than what you would normally get bundled with your filter especially in stages

1 - 13 of 13 Posts