The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I the only one that keep these in our planted tanks?

Mine are South American Leaf Fish and are intriguing to watch.

Let's see some pictures!

Attachments

·
Carpe Diem
7,562 Posts
I have one baby Leopard Stenopoma that I need to take pictures off. Yours are looking way cool.

v3

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
does the Leopard Ctenopoma count as a leaf fish?

I didn't think so, but here's my baby

he's only around 2" right now... have had him for months. I'm almost tempted to put him in his own tank so I can feed him directly. He eats really well, and have just added beef heart to the mix to get him growing.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Kinda an odd coincidence that you made this post . A couple of weeks back I was in Pacific Aquarium in NYC , just looking around , and there were 4 of these guys . Hadn't seen them in years and years . I came within a heartbeat of getting them , but lack of tank space and knowing from prior experience that I probably couldn't keep them in live food pulled me back .
The one's I'm looking for are Polycentrus schomburgki , the false leaf fish . Haven't seen them for ages either.

·
Carpe Diem
7,562 Posts
Well, Leopard Stenopoma is also known as African Leaf Fish :) (and a bunch of other common names). Therefore, as per your title, I consider myself "leaf fish keeper". Ha!

The hunting habits are similar and a blast to watch. Now I just need to train mine to attack guppy fry. Sic, boy.

v3

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Pestmart always sells Leopard Gourami/Spotted Climbing Perch as African leaf fish, I've told them every time I go in its miss labeled, they don't give a [censor] about correcting it.
Nice to see someone with a true leaf fish, very lovely, where did you obtain them?

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I've seen these guys before. Pretty cool looking. I have a Ctenopoma acutirostre I picked up from Petsmart. He grew from an inch to a heftly three inches in a little bit over 9 months. One day I'm gonna have a large, low tech planted tank with large carnivores instead of the typical angels and tetras.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Only live foods , Adult brine shrimp , daphnia , guppy fry , glass larvae . Mine were lost from lack of live foods . If it wasn't moving , that wouldn't eat it . They have deceptively large mouths , wouldn't keep them with anything smaller than they are . They're not chasers though , they just hang out, blend in , and wait for food to come by. Then they suck it up .

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone.
These guys came from a local breeder that has had several successful batches. He has 4 more growing out for me as we speak.

For feeding I have a group of 11 mollies in the display that will hopeful provide a decent supply of fry. I am starting a large groupo of endless breeders on Tuesday that will also be purely for food supply. I also like to supplement ghost shrimp as a snack and to provide a mixed variety to their diet

By no means are these guys aggressive. They are a extremely calm fish that literally just float as a leaf constantly in the plants.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.