The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have two different broadleaf plants that are both having leaf problems. They seem to disintegrate or break down in sections in the middle of the leaf. I'm not sure what type of plant they are (bought second hand), but there are photos of each attached. I'm new to planted tanks so I'm not sure where to start in finding out what the problem is.

The tank is 30 gallons with a 96W compact fluorescent. Right now it was a 10000K/actnic bulb combo (older) while I wait for a completely 10000K bulb I ordered to come in the mail. I had been putting in the daily dose amount of excel only once a week at the water change. I stopped that a couple weeks ago when these symptoms first started in case that was the problem, but they seem to be getting worse.

I have amano shrimp and bristlenose plecos in the tank with killifish. It was kept around 82-84 degrees, but I just turned it down to 80 today. The photoperiod has not been consistent....just a few hours a day in the evening for a month or so...now about 12 hours a day.

Any help would be great!

Attachments

·
Registered
330 Posts
those would be amazon sword plants. look up "echinodorus" and you will find that there are plenty to choose from. as for the breakdown of its leaves, i would say iron. that being said and not knowing the water paramters, what are they? any co2 injection or just excel. any fert dosing or just fish food and poop? any guess on your hardness, nitrates, phosphates?

·
Registered
934 Posts
Echinodorus Amazonicus is the plant you have. How long have the plants been in the tank? No matter how much you try, you will always get leaf melting in the beginning.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
All plants need nutrients, nitrogen, phosphorous, potassium, trace elements, and carbon. You have medium light intensity, so your plants will have a hard time growing well with just the nutrients they get from fish poop. That means you need to either use root tabs, or dose the water with nitrates, phosphates, potassium, trace elements, and carbon, or both at the same time. Look at http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/fertilizers-water-parameters/21944-_dosing-regimes_.html for some good information.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,

No CO2 injection, just the excel. I have Eco-Complete substrate, but have not been dosing any ferts. Hardness (GH) is around 150ppm, nitrates at 0, but I don't know the phosphates. Just got the 10K bulb today and installed. :) The tank has had the plants about 3 months, the fish about 2 months. Does it sound like a nutrient issue, then? Root tabs sound like they might work?

·
Registered
330 Posts
ya root tabs will probably work down the line . . . however they take a week or two to start dispersing into the substrate depending on which kind you get. I would dose the water column right now with at least your macros (Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potassium) to unlimit your plants. then go for traces the week following and by that time your root tabs will have started doing their job. IMO its always better to dose both the substrate and water column then one or the other. But I am a firm believer in the EI dosing regime . . .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts