The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
that's pretty strange... there are certain kind of planaria that can get pretty large. the brown flatworm comes to mind but how the heck would it get into your tank?

leeches are pretty unmistakable though and look nothing like flatworms. just do a google search and see.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Well i guess it is a type of planaria? When it swims around it wriggles and its body is elongated- its just sitting in the picture. I just put in some meds to kill an ich infection the night before so maybe that strirred it up.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
This is not a planarian, it's probably a leech, or possibly another worm altogether. It probably hitched its way into your tank on the roots of a plant and has been living in your substrate for some time doing no harm. Many leeches don't suck blood but I believe that most are either parasitic or predatory, so it's probably best that you don't release it back into the tank.

·
Registered
434 Posts
This is a leach. It apparently hitched a ride on a MTS when much younger. It cleaned out every snail I had in my 75G. I haven't seen it since this photo was taken months ago:

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I wouldn't flush it, leaches can live in lots of places. If you want it dead, put it in a waterless jar with a top and let it dry out.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I wouldn't flush it, leaches can live in lots of places. If you want it dead, put it in a waterless jar with a top and let it dry out.
that seems... cruel... if you don't want to flush it, freeze it like you would with a fish.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
that seems... cruel... if you don't want to flush it, freeze it like you would with a fish.
Sorry, but I'm not a fan of leeches. To be frozen seems to be just as bad, in the winter my nose and fingers hurt when they get too cold. I would assume being in a freezer would have the same effect on leeches.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.