The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i took my tiger barbs from a 40 gallon and put them in my 30 gallon planted tank. both tanks have that same water conditions. ph is at 7.0 in both tanks. tested the water today nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia are all good.

now my question is why where the barbs so active in the non planted tank and now are kind of lazy and dont swim around as much in the planted tank.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have some personal experience, although not Tiger barbs, I have Odessa barbs, and they spend most of their time hiding in the plants. It's kind of disappointing because they are so pretty. I guess if they have a place to hide they will.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have a drop checker otw in the mail. none of the fish are gasping for air. every once in a while my little gourami will swim up to the top and grab some air but thats probably like 1 to 2 times a day.

my cardinal tetras seem fine, they are pretty active swimming around the tank along with the cory cats. so idk what to think. maybe they like to just kick it in the plants. if someone knows or has had expreience with tiger barbs let me know.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I had tiger barbs about 2 years ago, but in a lightly decorated tank. But they did spend a lot of time darting in and out of a certain plant, so maybe you are correct that they just love to kick it in the plants.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
one of my friends said it could be cuz of the lighting on the tank.

the 40 gallon came with a hood and a single strip light from petsmart so im sure its like a fluorescent bulb.

and the 30 gallon has a highout t5 24watt x2 10k lights

maybe?

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I have 4 adult tiger barbs in a 40b - all they do is hang out in the same plants or under the overhang of the driftwood. They only come out into the open for feeding. They are the largest fish in the tank, and the first fish that were put in the tank. I just thought they were a shy fish? I have the same kind of strip light you do, I never thought it was too bright for them but...? I'll have to watch to see if they come out after "lights out".

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah the strip light i would keep on anywhere from 8-12 hours, and the planted tank i keep on for 8 hours and its on a timer. as soon as it goes off they go crazy swimming around the tank, well for like 5 minutes and then they start floating off to sleep.

you know they do hang out underneath the over hanging drift wood and they like to hang out in the jungle val so it might make sense.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.