The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
I have seen my 5 assassin snails reduce the population of baby ramshorn snails in my tanks from maybe a few hundred to a few dozen in two months. I think they will eat 1 snail every few days. My tank used to be completely overrun by ramshorn snails and now they are under control.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have two assassins in a 55gal and one in my sump. I have heard they like mts the least. They do keep the bladder/pond snails to zero and keep the mts in check most of the time.

I just find it funny to see this when it happens.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I think you are forgetting to give it the command.
This will only work with two assassins but luckily you have 2 in your 55display. should work:

(your picture reminded me of this old dog trick haha)

·
Registered
861 Posts
Yeah I'm not sure what to do. I have tons of snails in my tank but the assassin have only tried to kill each other. They have drilled holes in each other's shells.
I have 60+ assassins in my 10 gallon, have never seen them go after each other at all. I didn't even feed mine snails for months and still no dead assassins in my tank. Perhaps the holes in the shells are caused by your water?

Um..had 60+ traded 20 away.

·
Registered
59 Posts
drowning in snails

I also have about 30,000,000 snails (could be 30 billion, who can count that high). They come up out of the gravel at night, when the world is asleep. Thought they were "cute" when there were 10, got a Clown Loach when there were 10,000, got 2 assassin snails when there were 20,000,000. It's like fighting the zombie horde with a BB gun ..... sigh.

They are freakin' everywhere (most of the white specks are little snails). I even have little babies floating around on top of the water.

Are assassin snails the best method of control? If so, I guess I better get a bunch more AS's.

Also, I am getting ready to set up my next tank and WAS going to take cuttings from my infested 30. Is there a way to kill off the snails B4 transferring?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
I know how you feel man. I threw a few MTS in my 10 gallon rcs/endler tank. They turned into 150-200 really fast. I threw 2 assassins in there at first. They were working, but not fast enough. I threw 3 more in there, and now it's looking much better. I'd like to put 2 of them in my 29, but I don't want to risk the mystery snails.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I also have about 30,000,000 snails (could be 30 billion, who can count that high). They come up out of the gravel at night, when the world is asleep. Thought they were "cute" when there were 10, got a Clown Loach when there were 10,000, got 2 assassin snails when there were 20,000,000. It's like fighting the zombie horde with a BB gun ..... sigh.

They are freakin' everywhere (most of the white specks are little snails). I even have little babies floating around on top of the water.

Are assassin snails the best method of control? If so, I guess I better get a bunch more AS's.

Also, I am getting ready to set up my next tank and WAS going to take cuttings from my infested 30. Is there a way to kill off the snails B4 transferring?
I think you need a lot more than two. I'd guess 6-10.

I'd also pull some by hand. I've got a lot of mts in a 55 and I've added 10 or so assassins. I'm also pulling mts by hand when the lights go out. I think the mts are gradually being reduced, but it's a slow process.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.