The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought 5 Cardina japonica two days ago hoping they'd help clear some algae in my 29 gallon, especially among the finer leaved plants. In fact, I heard this is what they like the most. Well, nothing doing. All they do is hang out at the top of my sword plant. Huh? :biggrin:

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
I bought 5 Cardina japonica two days ago hoping they'd help clear some algae in my 29 gallon, especially among the finer leaved plants. In fact, I heard this is what they like the most. Well, nothing doing. All they do is hang out at the top of my sword plant. Huh? :biggrin:
I think it's still getting used to the tank or is full or scared... What else is in the tank? I have a feeling it's probably hiding from the fish!

-Andrew

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
What kind of algae are you having problems with?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I suspect the cherry barbs might have something to do with it...I've seen them trying for a quick snack on the amano's legs. The algae is a fine dark green thread type that covers over the plant's leaves. It grows really fast. This incarnation of the tank is about three weeks old. DIY Co2, 2.9 watts per gallon.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess they're barbs after all. I'm kinda hoping they get used to each other...I don't want to get rid of the cherries.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I've had cherry barbs and amano's in the same tank over a year ago. Tank is now defunct and sold. Anyway, I'd say the barbs were more scared of the amanos. Fins would go missing at night......

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One of the shrimp died today :angryfire The barbs are more inquisitive than anything else, they only go for the shrimp when the shrimp are swimming in open water. Now that they're just hanging out they get left alone. Problem is, they're not getting to any food. But I guess if they were really hungry they'd venture out? I was wondering if it could be the flying foxes. They don't go for the shrimp, but they're kinda boisterous.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
IME, amano shrimp jump out if there is something wrong with the tank. I had an amano stay in my open top until I saw a bee shrimp die, indicating something wrong. Also my cherries were very inactive. The I noticed my amano dried up on the floor. Maybe there is seriously something wrong with your shrimp that they lost the will to jump out.

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
You said that the amanos are at the top of your sword palnt. Does this mean that they are very close the the water's surface? This might mean that there isn't enough oxygen or too much CO2. I know that at night if I don't raise my spraybar to cause surface agitation all of my shrimp will gather on the vegetation at the top of the water. Also can you see any food in their guts? Healthy, happy amanos usually have some food in there.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They are right at the surface, now with little food in their guts. I was beginning to suspect Co2 (though all of the fish are fine). I think I'll add an airstone. Apparently I'll have to leave it on 24/7 to avoid pH swings. I'd also heard that an airstone or excess surface agitation would to some degree negate Co2 injection? My Co2 gets dispersed by the filter's impeller, so hopefully it won't matter that much.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just checked on the shrimp, and their bodies were milky :icon_frow Yikes! Seems Co2 is the culprit. I've put an airstone in at full blast. Let's see what happens.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the earlier replies all. Since I've added an airstone, the remaining four shrimp are much healthier. I've discovered why they're not eating the algae - they're eating the sword (an Amazon, the leaf they perch on is steadily disappearing) and the flake food :angryfire I've seen them swim out, grab a flake and then find a cozy perch on which to eat it! Oh well. One wierd thing is that one or two still have milky bodies, apparently a sign of hypoxia. They're eating well though, and they're active. Water parameters are: pH 6.4, Ammonnia 0ppm, Nitrite 0ppm, Nitrates approx 3ppm.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Just checked on the shrimp, and their bodies were milky :icon_frow Yikes! Seems Co2 is the culprit. I've put an airstone in at full blast. Let's see what happens.
Ohh didn't even think of CO2!

Sorry to hear about the shrimp...

-Andrew

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A couple of the shrimp are still milky, but they're moving around the tank now, and they seem to be eating. Is this something to be concerned about?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Amano Shrimp :Lazy

Hi all, sorry to grave dig this post, but I recently got one amano shrimp for my 1.5 gallon, and the first day it was very active cleaning and eating algae, but now for nearly two days its been very lazy, it stays in one spot for hours on end, not eating or cleaning. Is something wrong with it? water parameters are just fine, and the betta doesn't bother it. I've heard amanos don't do well alone? should I get another few to keep it company? I'm really worried about it. I hope it is okay. I've been leaving a little bit of fish food out on the gravel in case it is hungry. This is my first time having any kind of shrimp, so have no idea what normal behavior for them is. From I've read they should be very active. Some say they are more active at night, but this was not the case either, I observed at night and it did not move around much.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Gioacqua, if your shrimp is not moving or seems sluggish then it is definitely upset. Shrimp need very clean water, so leaving food out may be doing more harm than good. Try doing small water changes (<10%) if you have any ammonia in your tank.
Shrimp also do not do well in cold water, so make sure your temperature is in their ideal range.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts