The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been into the big fish for a while, but with a very busy year coming up I decided Id like to bring down my collections to one Tank and go for easier management...and decided to go planted. Ive had planted tanks before...low tech nothing crazy, and wanted to go the same route with this one as It will depend on my wife at times for maintenance.

Here are specs -
Tank 210g (7'x2'x2')
Sump 80 gallon
Background - Aquaterra 3D Slimline
300 lbs of Pool filter Sand
20 lbs of Eco complete Black
20 lbs of Eco complete Red
Several pieces of Petrified wood
20 lbs of various river stone gravel
Manzanita Driftwood

Plants are Dwarf hairgrass, Anubias nana, Java fern, java moss, Microsword, and a few Crypts.

Pump is a Mag drive 18, Tetra Pond UV, and Airstones running in the Bio Media in the Sump (ceramic rings, Lava rock, Bio balls) Lighting the tank are 4 Marineland doublebright 48" LED fixtures.

Current stock is 100 Lg Cardinal Tetras, 6 sterbai Cories and 6 orange Seam cories. Tank temp is 82, pH 6.2. Only supplement Im using is Flourish at the moment. All critique and advice is welcome...

I plan on adding in another 100 Cardinals, and 75-100 Rummy noses. A pair of WC Tefe Discus, as well as some domestics....I like the red cover but need to find the right fish...as well as a pair of Blue diamonds. Love solid coloration. Eyeing some Farlowellas and Oto's as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eXphypVVUE

·
Registered
249 Posts
Wow looks really nice! I love the lay out especially your selection of stone, I like how they are layer down in such a natural way! The petrified wood stone gives a looks as if it was some old ruins that had eventually ended up under water! Nice! Can wait to see this tank mature!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't want heavy planting in this tank for the time being...I think Ill just let these take hold and see how they develop. I like having the mid section fairly clear, and the right with only ground cover as it offers a nice viewing area for the fish when in those areas. I actually had a tough time trying to figure out the arrangement for the Petrified wood. Since its so straight I was having trouble arranging them in a natural looking way. They looked like little Towers or skyscrapers...NOT the look I was hoping for. Finally figured what I thought would work, and am happy with the outcome. Reminds me of one of those Lord of the rings scenes...lol

The stones in the mid section (pictured with the Corys) are actually from the beach. My Wife and I went to Puerto Rico in April for a friends wedding, and these were on the Beach. I couldn't help myself and picked the nicer ones to bring home. I will note that if they dry out for extended periods they crack. A friend in CA sent me the Manz wood which he picked up for me. Now Im just hoping my plant selection works as intended.

Any advice on Ferts?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.