The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have read a lot of threads for miraclegro or topsoil and cap with sands/gravels. I really wanted to try this. So I went to lowe's and I found this soil called "lawnsoil". It says on the bag that it is actually will grow better then native top soil. Has anyone tried this soil? and as for topsoil, where do you get them?

Thanks.

·
Registered
334 Posts
potting soil.

I have used both MG potting and topsoil in experimental tanks, ie no fish just cuttings. The topsoil has lots more wood chips and larger pieces and tended to come up thru the cap much easier. The potting soil I have had in a tank for over 6 months and I can throw scraps of plants that are basically dying in my other tanks into this one and they come back.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I think you are supposed to sift out the dry soil to remove the wood and large bits with a screen *before* you add water - at least it seems silly to me to bother trying to mineralize something that in the end you'd need to remove and it would be tougher to get them out.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
potting soil.

I have used both MG potting and topsoil in experimental tanks, ie no fish just cuttings. The topsoil has lots more wood chips and larger pieces and tended to come up thru the cap much easier. The potting soil I have had in a tank for over 6 months and I can throw scraps of plants that are basically dying in my other tanks into this one and they come back.
Thank you for your info. That's very interesting to know. Which potting soil did you use, if I may ask?

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Thanks but I have seen those potting soil videos where they have to soak them for few days, and clean up all the woods, bargs, etc. It seems like it's a mess.
set up wrong they are ALWAYS a mess. I have no wood barges floating around because the cap is always done correctly. And soaking is a waste of time.
I think you are supposed to sift out the dry soil to remove the wood and large bits with a screen *before* you add water - at least it seems silly to me to bother trying to mineralize something that in the end you'd need to remove and it would be tougher to get them out.
I don't understand this sorry. NPT and MTS are different even though both are using dirt as a base.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.