The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to buy some lava rock to play around with aquascaping.

I've seen red and black lava rock for sale.
Are they both safe?
Or is the black one painted somehow, making it unsafe for aquarium use?

The black ones I've seen just look all too uniform in the shade of black they are, which makes me hesitant on believing they are all just naturally the same shade?

Pretty sure I am wrong though and both red and black are natural colors of lava rock and are both inert/safe.
Just looking for more confirmation.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Lava rocks come in a number of colors, black is one of them. Colors and textures are influenced by rate of cooling, source material, etc, etc. Just wash them well and you will be good to go. You may need to buff down any sharp edges that could cause a fish to be cut.

Bump: You should visit Craters of the Moon in Idaho. You are literally surrounded by a black lava flow.

Reactions: WaterLife

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Lava and related stone in the rock yards around here is available in 3 natural colors:
Black (pure black, and a sort of 'not really black' blend of black and red (sort of brown looking))
Red
Grey. This one is also called Feather Stone, and Pumice. It is so light it floats. Eventually it will take in enough water to sink. It is soft enough to carve with the tools that most people have such as screwdrivers, and kitchen spoons. It is VERY sharp! Wear gloves.

There is also a kind of rock that I have seen called pot rock because there are many bowl shapes. Sort of hollowed out irregular shapes. The pieces I have are that sort of brown (or red and black blended) lava rock. I have some of these. One of them has been in and out of several tanks over the years.

Anyway, all of these are chemically OK in the tank, but I would be rather cautious of the Feather Stone. Too sharp.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.