The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its been awhile, but I'm back in the habit and working on my next build. I have always wanted a shrimp cube, but never jumped in. I finally decided to go for it. I ordered a Landen 30c and a 12" Planted+ 24/7 which should be in Thursday. I think I'm going to go with an Oase Thermal 100 for filtration/heat. I'm debating a Seneye Reef for general monitoring to keep an eye on my PH & Ammonia, added plus for the light monitoring. I thought about going with the Fzone CO2 regulator Mini series for a paintball CO2 system with an inline diffuser to try to keep things compact, but I've been out of the game just long enough that I can't really remember what is good as far as CO2 equipment, so feel free to chime in. I used Thrive for ferts previously, so I'll probably start off with that, and eventually end up auto-dosing.
As far as livestock, I definitely want shrimp. I'm thinking CRS, but maybe blue dream... not 100% sure yet. I've never kept shrimp but I'm dying to. Thought about doing some Gold White Clouds with them... I've not really looked into what fish are "safe" yet.
I guess next I need to decide which substrate and plants to go with. Fluval Stratum is readily available in the area, but wasn't sure if I should try the ADA system since it is a smaller tank and shouldn't be too cost prohibitive.

The pic below is my inspiration for this tank.
I'm thinking
Dwarf Baby Tears
Rotala nanjenshan or green myrio (in the back)
Rotala macrandra (middle left)
Myrio Tuberculatum (middle right)
Rotala Rotundifolia “Twilight" (front)

·
Registered
16g rimless cherry shrimp, 20g cube dwarf cichlid, 40g breeder nano community.
476 Posts
Beautiful tank!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I finally ventured into the city yesterday and hit up a couple of the LFS and hit a gem. They had some different planting substrates. I picked up an 8L bag of Mr Aqua planting soil, an Oase Thermal 100, and an Azoo regulator with solenoid. I picked up a rack stand from Lowes, which with a little modification, should work just fine. I ordered some Dragon Stone from Lifeguard Aquatics. Now I have to break down and figure out what plants are going into this tiny tank. I also have to decide if I’m going to go with tissue culture or try to find enough submersed grown plants to fill this up. Decisions decisions :ROFLMAO:

Rectangle Automotive design Urban design Wood Tints and shades

·
Registered
30 Posts
Looking forward to seeing this build as the 30C is my favorite. Your plans are sounding really good so far. I have orange CRS in my 30C with Endlers and they work really well together.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have orange CRS in my 30C with Endlers and they work really well together.
I have been seriously debating Endlers. My daughter went with me to the LFS last week and saw some ember tetras she likes too. Im waiting for the dragon stone to come in so I can play with the hardscape a bit before I make any final decisions on the plants and fish.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Getting closer to build day! My dragon stone should be delivered Monday. I ordered the last few hardware items that I needed from Amazon, and I'll go pick up my CO2 from the LFS tomorrow at some point. I ordered the following plants from AquariumPlants.com, so those should be in at some point next week too. I'm getting super excited! Can't wait to get this set up and cycling!

Hygrophila araguais (Hygrophila sp. Araguaia)
Ludwigia Narrow Leaf (Ludwigia palustris)
Ludwigia Super Red (Ludwigia sp. Mini Super Red)
Micranthemum Monte Carlo Pot (Micranthemum Tweediei)
Proserpinaca palustris - bp107
Rotala Indica (Rotala rotundiifolia)
Rotala Magenta (Rotala macrandra v. 'narrow leaf')
Rotala sp. 'nanjenshan'
Telanthera Rosefolia (Alternanthera reineckii)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts