The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a late night aquarium emergency. I was changing the timers on my lights, under my 100 gal tank last night when I noticed some water leaking from the marineland c360 canister filter. I picked it up to move it a bit and all of a sudden I hear a whoosh. Look up and see a giant black cloud of nasty crap decend down on my plants and fish. I reached over and unplugged the tank right away but the water was already black. So I started an emergency 90% water change. Pulled the canister out and cleaned it. The top mat was pretty disgusting so I tossed it. Good news is my flow is much better now. Bad news is the canister is sucking air in somewhere and is constantly blowing micro bubbles. Atleast nobody died...knock on wood

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
What you have described is not what I think of as a big issue other than the air leak. When you moved the canister and stirred the debris, it came out in the tank where you could see it. It did not add nor remove any debris, just stirred it to a spot where it was no longer hidden!
But it did alert you to the fact that the filter might need more cleaning?
So when you find the leak, you are good to go again but now know a bit more about how often to clean.
One big thing I've learned about plumbing? Never work on it late at night when the stores are closed. It invites the gremlins to break something.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
One big thing I've learned about plumbing? Never work on it late at night when the stores are closed. It invites the gremlins to break something.
I can only add to this VERY sound piece of advice that you should avoid it altogether in the evenings later in the week. Most of us run with less than optimal hours of sleep during the week and if you're like me, you hit the wall on Friday night. I've done so many bone-headed things working in the fishroom on a Friday night, that I now only feed the fish after 6PM. I've decided I'm not even capable of a water change on Friday nights.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
Weird things tend to happen when the stores are closed. Something as simple as taking a tubing off a sink can turn into real problems. Like dropping a ferrule that goes into the sink trap when you don't have another. You get to take the trap apart or leave the sink out until you buy ANOTHER! If the stores are open, you go buy one for a few cents.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.