The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
12/11/11

Tank, diy stand, diy lights, substrate, filters set-up. Plants arrive soon!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like those dimensions, did you have it custom built?
Yes. There is a custom tank builder near me that has made a few tanks for me already. He got a good deal on acrylic so I jumped on the opportunity to get a 6' tank made relatively cheaply. It's 1/2" acrylic all-around. The stand is about 4' tall making the tank near eye-level. Plant shipment arriving today!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Initial planting

OK, so I just started. Stayed close to my original plans. I got a good deal on a few large pieces of Mopani root wood. There are a few extra plants and no Java Fern. For a sense of scale, the mopani pieces are near 2' long (they're angled even if it doesn't look like it in the pic) and must weigh > 20lbs each.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Looks like a good start. I have never used that species of Bacopa as a background before. The tank looks really shallow but I guess that is because it is so long.

Do you plan to breed the cichlids?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like a good start. I have never used that species of Bacopa as a background before. The tank looks really shallow but I guess that is because it is so long.
Do you plan to breed the cichlids?
The Bacopa came out of a 55 where it grew out and over the top. Some stalks were > 26" tall! One of my favoritries because of it's hardyness and easyness (a word?) and bright light green color.

I don't really plan on breeding cichlids but have a few exta tranks available if that happens.

Yes, the tank is a little shallow (18") and it looks very shallow since it's 6' long.

I'm hoping (expecting) it will look better as the plants grow-in.

Yes, I need a better camera :-(

As you might guess from my last name, my Grandfather was from Canada.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts