The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I setup a 125 gallon dollar store dirt tank about 4 months ago at a friends house. He was ecstatic to buy all of his substrate for less than $50. With pressurized CO2 and CFL spirals, everything he puts in it grows like a weed. He swears it's the dirt. This makes me wonder what the largest dirt tank is around here. I would love to see a 300 gallon dirt tank with all different kinds of species of fauna and flora in it.

Has anybody seen or heard of a dirt tank larger than 125g owned by a hobbyist? I'm really interested in learning how big we can scale these up to without any major problems.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
:) I have seen many dirty tanks but not had the pleasure of a dirt tank , sounds interesting..any chance of a coupla pics? thankyou

"Up in Central Texas, as soon as you start to get into rolling hills, you start to see dirt tanks. I’ve seen them in other parts of Texas, too, but apparently the term is not used much outside of Texas.

You may have even seen a dirt tank without knowing it. So I thought I’d explain.

Imagine that you have a lot of rainwater running off a big hillside and flowing away. If you could catch that rainwater, you would have plenty of water for your livestock to drink—without having to drill a well or provide power for a pump.

So you get a bulldozer and scoop out a bunch of dirt from the side of the hill, and you push all that dirt up into a ridge or levee around the outside of the hollowed out place. That keeps the rainwater that runs down the hill from draining away. Pretty soon you have a very nice pond on the side of the hill.

The cows, horses, and other animals can just walk up and drink on the upper slope of the tank. So everybody’s happy." from google search

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dirt tanks

I just thought... do you mean soil? if so I'm running in a vision 260L with six inc of dirt at front and sloping up to 8/9 inch at the back of the tank and is going really well, Also my first proper planted tank was and still is a 180L dirt tank running with no problem at all for two years and one month the dirt is an even four inches front to back, side to side and the picture is in my gallery if you can check it out. hope this helps. I added gravel and sand in both instances to weigh the dirt down

be sure to test the water as soil gives off loadsa ammonia so will happily fishless cycle and plenty of info on the net for soil use especially the walstad method by Diana Walstad, I add co2 in these instances too though and undergravel heating cables as it gets cold in the uk I also change water often and dose

·
Registered
528 Posts
He-Man

He does mean soil

125 US Gal is 473Ltr
your tank (260Ltr) works out to 68.6 US Gal
300Gal is 1135Ltr ( that is a monster tank would like to see one myself)

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Abrium,

Do a search for Dirt Tank and you should come up with some good posts. Look for the one's that have a lot of posts. Most of those have good step by step instructions as to how the tank was setup. You can also check the dirt tank in my sig. There's a sticky in the substrate forum for how to make MTS.

He-Man,

I used to rush home every day as a kid to watch your cartoon!!! lol But yes, I am talking about soil. I do like what you described though. Sounds like it would be a lush pond with all of that rich dirt in it.

Based on the tanks you just posted about it sounds like you should join our Fraternity of Dirt! Those two tanks are exactly what I'm talking about, but I want to know about the much larger versions.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Using actual soil (top soil, potting soil, etc.) isn't new to the hobby by a long shot but the popular movement to dirt based tanks by hobbyists is more recent.

I would imagine that there have been big show tanks (pro tanks for businesses, aquariums, universities, fish or plant breeders, etc.) here or there dating back a long time.

Seems like a good bet that someone like Tom Barr would have set one up for atleast one client over the years.

This will be interesting to see what gets posted though. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.