The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all new to the planted tank world. I'm trying to redo my 55g which has 3 large pieces of driftwood and medium to large gravel. I hate the fake plants but it was convenient and quick at the time. I don't want to disturb any fish or remove gravel unless I absolutely have too. I know plants can grow in gravel but I think mine may be a tad large... Java fern and anubias will be attached to wood. also any ideas on scaping would be awesome

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ugh picture went upside down
Lemme know how to rotate that picture unless ur ok with holding ur screen upside down

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
I was going to ask how you defied gravity to make the tank like that ;-)

Try this:
I-phones and some other cameras have an odd way of knowing 'which way up'.
When you add a picture to your computer use the photo handling software to flip the picture around even if it lands right side up. Then flip it back. Doing this somehow resets how the computer figures out which side up, and then it will (usually) post right side up.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
If you can find similar plants to the fake ones you have in there I think they will grow OK in gravel.

Valisneria is the narrow strap shaped leaves, sort of like grass. Grows in pretty much any substrate.

The stems with the finer sort of leaves might represent any of several plants, perhaps Cabomba, Myriophyllum or other. If there is enough light Cabomba ought to grow OK.
An easier plant sort of like this is Hornwort. I have found it grows best in hard water.

Add in the Java Fern and Anubias and I think your tank will start to look pretty good.
What sort of light do you have?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a coralife x4 fixture and will have 3 54w 6500k bulbs when i go to plant. Gonna try to stick with medium light plants until im able to get co2 injection set up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts