The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone, im looking for freshwater shrimp within the ranges of 3-6" that will not eat plants. I am aware of the fan shrimps (atya gabonensis, atya moluccensis), but are there any other large freshwater shrimps? I want to keep them with my rainbow snakeheads which will max out at 6-8" and are relatively docile as long as they wont fit in their mouths.

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
Amanos can get up to three inches max, I think. But the only one that I have ever heard of getting that large is one that lauraleellbp has in her 90 gallon.
Other than amanos, fan shrimp are the way to go, IMO.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Many Macrobrachium get large (some even attain lobster-like dimensions) but at these sizes they might pose a risk to snakeheads or plants.

Your best bet, if you have sufficient current, really would be large fan shrimp Atya or Atyopsis, but remember that even good-sized specimens might be vulnerable during molts.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Bamboo Shrimp or (Singapore Wood Shrimp) and African Filter Shrimp. I've kept both with great success. The AFS just needs a hiding place, but will come out at night. The Bamboo Shrimp needs a place to play king of the hill near a place with a lot of flow (filter output or powerhead). I have pics of both in my tank journal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Many Macrobrachium get large (some even attain lobster-like dimensions) but at these sizes they might pose a risk to snakeheads or plants.

Your best bet, if you have sufficient current, really would be large fan shrimp Atya or Atyopsis, but remember that even good-sized specimens might be vulnerable during molts.
if i was to look into macrobrachium, which species would be ideal? ideal being least aggressive, and reaching a size of 5" at max? I also see that a lot of them tend to have claws, will this be a problem? Thanks for the advice everyone

·
Registered
380 Posts
if i was to look into macrobrachium, which species would be ideal? ideal being least aggressive, and reaching a size of 5" at max? I also see that a lot of them tend to have claws, will this be a problem? Thanks for the advice everyone
I've heard that blue lobsters and large crayfish will uproot plants and take down smaller slower fish.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.