The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When placing large rocks is it ok to put them on the glass or should i put aqua soil down first to protect the glass? Here's the scape the tank will be a cheap 29g tall. Im worried about the second rock from the the right side.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The egg crate doesn't sound bad. Maybe something plastic like a wall of a milk crate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Styrofoam will also work to cushion the rock. Substrate works in most cases and for a 29g I feel would be fine. As you get into heavier rocks though you should consider padding.

Substrate is afterall just small rocks for the most part and sitting a big rock on top puts pressure and stress on points of the bottom of the tank where the substrate presses. This can lead to cracks and disaster.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah i found it at homedepot.com as well, hoping lowes will have it in the lighting section.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
The eggcrate/lighting product is a good way to go.
For smaller rocks (if I can place them with one hand) I just cushion with substrate. But if I have to use 2 hands to control the rock, some sort of protection is a very good idea. All that weight sitting on just a few points on the glass does not seem safe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts