The Planted Tank Forum banner

Large-ish "Show fish" suggestions

1959 12
My 10.5 inch bala shark just died in my 125 gallon tank so I am looking for preferably a large-ish colourful fish that would go well in a planted community tank. Right now I have the following fish:

1 - Bala Shark
2 - Siamese Algie Eaters
1 - Bolivian Ram
1 - Rummy nose tetra
3 - Glass cats
2 - Pictus Catfish
1 - Blue tetra
1 - Rubber nose pleco
1 - Bristle nose pleco
2 - Oto cats
1 - African butterfly fish
A few nerite snails

Do you guys have any suggestions for a new "show fish" for my tank?
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
I don't have a recommendation for show fish. But I do have a recommendation. You need to get the fish that school some buddies. These fish are schooling and need at least 5 to a group: Rummy nose, Glass Catfish,Blue tetra, and Oto cats.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Personally if it were me id get rid of almost everything except maybe the plecos and the African butterfly fish and then find a group of 6 or so Toxotes microlepis
Just got my group for my 65g planted tank and they are AWESOME!

May not be your taste though so eh whatever

·
Registered
703 Posts
I can't help but agree with the above - more then a show fish, you need to show your current fish better. A single rummynose, or just a few glass cats, is barely even noticable and I dare say pointless to keep that way, while a large school of either of those is a very nice sight to behold. That and when fish are kept more naturally they behave more naturally. Unless these are all leftovers from older setups and you are waiting for them to die off? in that case, well, it is what it is.

As far as a largish colourful fish goes, you might take a look at the severum cichlid they are very nice, have good size to them, and do not have a preditory nature or the aggressive disposition of many other cichlids and should do fine with the fish you have.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Sorry to hear that your Bala died. I bet it was stunning that size. In that size tank it's nearly impossible to remove any of your current fish without upsetting the layout.

Pracox rainbows are stunning in a small school and would be the right size for the tank. A small group of penguin tetras would show very nicely in a tank that size, but I would go with the Pracox. They have an iridescent shimmering blue body with all the fins outlined in orange. They are a very peaceful species of rainbow.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I'm aware that i should have more of the schooling fish trust me I didn't just buy just one of them. They are all leftovers in the case of the rummy nose I have gone thru probably 15 over time. They have all died, it's hard to introduce them. i think its a problem with my ph either that or the pictus cats eat them at night. I also had 6 glass cats at one time and the blue tetra was a rescue from a friend getting rid of her tank. I do plan on getting some more buddies for some of the schoolers but I am reluctant to try rummy nose again even thou I would love to have more.

This severum cichlid looks pretty sweet I'll have to do some research on them. They are non aggressive? Are they very expensive? I don't have much experience with cichlid's. I heard they dig up your plants.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
A superb 'largish' show fish for that size tank would be a group of 6 to 8 (or even more) discus. You'd need to change up your current stocking somewhat, to insure full compatability, but as others have pointed out, you should be upping the numbers of certain fish that you now have, to create colorful schooling, and the rummy-noses and blue tetras immediately come to mind, as they are good discus tank-mates. So are the Rams, Glass Cats and BNP's. SAE's and Oto cats may be ok too, but need to be watched since at times some have been known to take a liking to discus' slime coats as part of their diet. ( It can occur when they get older, larger, and somewhat lazier when feeding - it's happened to me more than once, with both species.)
One final note: If the idea appeals to you,I'd suggest you do your homework ahead of time to become well familiar with discus needs, and be prepared to up your care and attention to maintaining good water quality and params.
Discus are nonetheless a hardy fish, and do very well if you make sure you get high quality, healthy stock from a known, experienced and reliable source in the first place.
They're extremely satisfying to keep - you'd love them !

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a 135 gallon and was just going through the same thought process. In the end I decided to go with some bigger rainbowfish (m. boesemani, m. trifasciata, g. incicus) -- they have the color and activity level that matches that size tank well. I also added a school of 20 lemon tetras which schools tightly. A large school swimming around a large tank looks awesome.

Other "largish" candidates I checked out:

Angelfish
Festivum (Flag Cichlid)
Keyhole Cichlid
Discus
Firemouth Cichlid (though they dig)

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
If you want a nice showy center pc fish go for it, it is your tank. One of my favorites that should not trash your plants, Datnioides microlepis.

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/perches/GoldDatnoid.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liEexmbBn5o&feature=related

If your do go that route, there will eventually be loses:

1 - Bala Shark depends on size
2 - Siamese Algie Eaters Salid
1 - Bolivian Ram Soup
1 - Rummy nose tetra Appetizer
3 - Glass cats Main Course
2 - Pictus Catfish depends on size
1 - Blue tetra Appetizer
1 - Rubber nose pleco
1 - Bristle nose pleco
2 - Oto cats Salid
1 - African butterfly fish Desert
A few nerite snails

I had mine in a 70 gl he got to 9" before I traded him for store credit. They are pretty cool to watch, they like to stay hidden in cover and stalk their prey. He left my Common pleco alone to my observations. Not sure about the plecos you have?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.