The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I decided to set up a aquarium in this dorm of mine. Its funny b/c they only allow tanks only at 5-10gal., but I want to set up a 30gal breeder tank (36 x 18 x 12). With this said, I wanna do a biotope tank for bass, crappie, or blue gill (small ones oh course). Something with great looking wood and substrate to contrast the wood. Does anyone have any idea/pics?

The other couple of questions is: How much lighting do I need (not going to be planted, sry), what kind of filtration system would you recommend, and a heater?

Thank you,
NMLvaio

·
Registered
499 Posts
Well I decided to set up a aquarium in this dorm of mine. Its funny b/c they only allow tanks only at 5-10gal., but I want to set up a 30gal breeder tank (36 x 18 x 12). With this said, I wanna do a biotope tank for bass, crappie, or blue gill (small ones oh course). Something with great looking wood and substrate to contrast the wood. Does anyone have any idea/pics?

The other couple of questions is: How much lighting do I need (not going to be planted, sry), what kind of filtration system would you recommend, and a heater?

Thank you,
NMLvaio
Small ones grow into bigger ones, although I suppose you could just eat them when they outgrow the tank.

·
Registered
794 Posts

Thank you,
NMLvaio
i always liked native tanks i keep 5 pumkin seeds 6 stickle backs and 4 darters in a 55 gallon tank.

i hope these fish will be very small fot a 30 gallon tank. as for filtration get one rated for a 75 gallon tank since all of these fish produce alot of waste and as far as a heater goes you wont need one these are all cold water fish your bigest problem will keeping the water cold enough.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Those fish need a much bigger tank than that, and will outgrow your tank pretty fast or die from low water quality. Also, it's probably not a wise idea to set one up in a dorm room where you aren't allowed to have one that big. They will probably find it. Trust me, I know. =)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know what you guys are saying, but these bass are going to be no larger than 2-3 inches and when it gets closer to fall break I will release them back.

·
Registered
794 Posts
its a bad idea to release native caught fish back into the wild since they may carry a diseas or parisite from the aquariums into the wild and decimate a river or what ever body of water you put them back into.

so basiacly after you catch them you cant just release them once ther to big or your tired of them you stuck with them untill the end if you a responcible fish keeper.

so what im saying is if you cant supply an approprate environment from beging to end dont get them sorry to be a downer but that is the way it is

·
Registered
548 Posts
yea this whole thing is just a really bad idea. Its like the countless threads on craigslist for people who have no cats in their lease and their landlord finds out......

·
Registered
567 Posts
Yep...too many people get caught breaking the rules, and soon the dorms will not allow any fish at all. I had cats, fish, a dog, and a parrot in college, and I had an impossible time finding a rental house that accepted any pets because there were too many irresponsible college students that didn't follow the rules about them. I know it sucks, but I'd really recommend you get a tank within the limits specified by your college. Yes, native fish are cool, but wait until you move out. Keep something small for now to satisfy your fish-keeping craving.

And people releasing aquarium-kept fish into the wild or the lakes in parks (even if they're native species) is what gets the government to come in and decide it's a bad idea for people to even keep fish at all, and then the whole trade becomes illegal. The college town I lived in kept finding pacu, plecos, and oscars in their city park--in northern Colorado! Someone also dumped some unwanted feeder goldfish into a decorative lagoon on campus, and by the time anyone knew they were there, there were hundreds of huge goldfish in there, and it became a serious problem because they could no longer drain the 18 inch deep lagoon to clean it. So it got very, very disgusting.

Dorm rooms are not very private at all--you will get caught. Even if you never show the tank to anyone, your roommate might tell someone about it, who then tells someone about it...I had an oversized aquarium in my dorm room with no roommate for one semester because I was waiting to move into a house and my parents couldn't keep the tank any longer, and it was miserable because I had to keep the tank hidden all the time, and never leave my door open. My whole life became centered around keeping the fish tank hidden. Not fun.

So, play by the rules, please. Don't get a pet unless you will care for it correctly over its entire lifespan. Being irresponsible only makes it harder on the rest of us and gives pet keepers a bad reputation.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I have seen tanks with bluegills in them before they dont get that large. So should be able to keep them unless you stuff to many in a tank. I would say 3 max...but they are very beautiful and have good colors.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just wait until you move off campus. Seriously. An additional problem with snagging natives and throwing them in an aquarium is they will become accustomed to being hand fed, and may not survive once released back into nature.

There is some kind of a florida pygmy sunfish out there, only a couple of inches but loaded with coloration and interesting behaviors. You can order them online I believe. They would do okay in a legal dorm room sized tank.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Releasing fish into the wild is NOT a viable option and it is against the law. Keeping the fish you listed in a 30 gallon is also not a responsible act.

·
Registered
414 Posts
This is all a bad, bad idea. You probably don't want to hear this but like others have said, its simply not a viable option to keep what you want.

First, you will put a 30g breeder when they limit you to 5-10. It is very easy to tell the difference between a 10g and a 30g so you will get caught. You could get away with say a 15g and say its a 10g...

Secondly, a 30g breeder is way to small to house those fish even if they are small. The fish will outgrow the tank regardless.

Thirdly, it is ILLEGAL to release fish from your aquarium into the wild. Not only that but the fish will probably die quickly since they have become used to living in a tank.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had a number of planted nano aquariums at college, we were allowed tanks but no fish or animals... Problem is I couldnt understand why algae was growing like mad regardless of what I did until I discovered just about every person who came into my room was pouring beer, other drinks and fertilisers into the tank.
I also had a large plastic bin in my wardrobe with 2 small pike (Essox lucious) which I rescued off a fellow aquatics student when he caught it netting and thought it would be funny to stick in a 20l aquarium. Great for a while because we had an unlimited supply of platys, guppys and mollys... Then I got caught for it and nearly expelled.
One guy set up a 4ft reef tank in his room though, funny considering the room could just about hold a bed, wardrobe and desk (prison cells are bigger) and got away with it because it just had inverts in... 2x 150w metal halides and a 300w heater running coste paid for kindly by the college!

·
Registered
567 Posts
They must not have known what the lights were lol. We were not allowed to have halogen desk lamps, or even a toaster. We also couldn't have a tank more than ten gallons. And we couldn't bring our own beds from home and put the nasty, uncomfortable, funny smelling dorm beds down in storage. And yes, I had beer, tabasco sauce, and extra cheesy popcorn all dropped into my tank courtesy of my second roommates's drunken friends...They killed my breeding pair of halfmoon bettas because they thought it would be funny to feed them weird things, and I came home that night to find them both laying on the bottom in a pile of soggy popcorn.

We could have fish, but no frogs, snails, snakes, lizards, turtles, etc, because all of those could come out of the water and get loose in theory.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts