The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a question for all of you out there. So I am ready to add a nice centerpiece group of fish. I was thinking a larger fish. I had originally decided on Roselines however I am not so sure anymore. I don't like the price and I want to see what else is available. I was thinking maybe congo tetras? What other fish gets to about 4-6" and likes being in a group and is compatible in a community tank? Below is the list of what I have now in my heavily planted 120 gallon tank.

Fauna:
30 Neon Tetras
12 Rummy Nose Tetras
15 Glo-Lite Tetras
2 Marigold Swordtails
3 Bristlenose Longfin Plecos
2 German Blue Rams
3 Peacock Gideons
12 Kuhli Loaches
1 Reticulated Hillstream Loach
20 Celestial Pearl Danios
12 Bronze Cory
12 Albino Cory
2 Longfin Peppered Cory
2 Peppered Cory
1 Bamboo Shrimp
8 Fire Ring Danios

·
Registered
528 Posts
What about Puntius denisonii (Denison's barb, Red line torpedo barb)
But i think they may freek out the other shoaling fish as they dont get called torpedo barb for no reason.
Also any 4"-6" fish may think "hey its dinner time" with regards to your stock list.

·
Banned
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What about Puntius denisonii (Denison's barb, Red line torpedo barb)
But i think they may freek out the other shoaling fish as they dont get called torpedo barb for no reason.
Also any 4"-6" fish may think "hey its dinner time" with regards to your stock list.
Yeah I mentioned them in the original post. I don't think they would be a problem. I also think they are the fish I am going to end up going with. I am thinking I may slowly catch my celestial pearl danios and relocate them as they are the only fish I am worried will have trouble at feeding time competing with everyone else.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Oops
sorry i dont know them as rosalines only as puntius or torpedo barbs.
but they will change the dynamic of the tank and it may get a little frantic (they are a bit skittish at times).

·
Banned
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmm I dont know if I would mind that. I mean I would think it would just cause the tetras to school a bit closer. The rest of my fish seem to be hiders anyway. With the exception of the peacock gudeons and the german blue rams. Do you think they would have an issue with them?

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
large centerpiece fish = obese large centerpiece fish. large fish love eating small fish

I suggest snakeskin gourami's, they get to about 4-5 inches, but keep a fairly small mouth which would have a hard time fitting any of your other fish in. A few males would keep things lively, they'd be chasing eachother regularly.

maybe also look into getting a small shoal of angelfish? They are smaller fish but look large due to the extreme nature of their fins.

·
Registered
528 Posts
i think they will be fine its just the price of them is hard to swallow. in the UK they are around £11 each and a nice shoal would need around 5 or 6 (thats alot in any currencey)

·
Registered
868 Posts
maybe also look into getting a small shoal of angelfish? They are smaller fish but look large due to the extreme nature of their fins.
Um not so sure about that - my angels got pretty darn big ... not as big as my discus in terms of thickness, but my large male was almost 5.5 inches across from nose to the beginning of his tail fin when he died.

They are generally peaceful, but like discus - they are also in the cichlid family so they can have 'tudes though they usually are fairly laid back. That being said though you really need to worry more about the barbs and tetras gong after the angelfish's fins, because barbs and tetras tend to be nasty little fin nippers - especially in a dark tank.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
large centerpiece fish = obese large centerpiece fish. large fish love eating small fish

I suggest snakeskin gourami's, they get to about 4-5 inches, but keep a fairly small mouth which would have a hard time fitting any of your other fish in. A few males would keep things lively, they'd be chasing eachother regularly.

Not always true, take it from me my jack dempsey can easily fit all his tank mates in his mouth maybe even 2 at a time, yet he doesn't, why? because I feed him very well and mostly live, he's fat but the only time he snaps at the tetras or catfish is when they go in his cave like rockwork, that said I may have got lucky.

another thing, I'd personally go with torpedoes if you have lots of thin tall plants like jungle val and some of the long leaf crypts and thin leaf swords, they like to hide in them alot and the more places they have to hide the more you will actually see them, also if you go with torpedoes hope your tank doesnt get so much foot traffic.

goodluck

Ps not recommending jack dempseys =p much too large to risk.

if you went with cichlids try smiling acaras or blue acaras, both are beautiful and look amazing with a breeding mate, their colors explode when breeding.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.