The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's previous life, this tank was "Valse" in my signature. I had terrible algae issues after a period of neglect (for both this tank and my 25 gallon), and though the 25 bounced back beautifully, this one didn't. I emptied it and it has been dry for months, until just last week!

I should have taken pictures from the beginning, but I wasn't patient enough. There's three quarters of a scape so far, and some fish, but I still need to figure things out before I sit back and let it mature.

Tank
48x12x19

Filtration
2 AC 70

Lighting
Catalina T5HO 3x54 watts

CO2
10lb tank from GLA
Atomic CO2 diffuser from GLA

Substrate/Fertilization
Playsand, EI with a little extra iron here and there

Here's the plan so far:

Scape/Flora
a large bush of trident fern on a "bridge" of wood
UG carpet
Not sure about the rest yet!

Fauna
I already have the following:
10 or so lemon tetras and red eye tetras that are temporary--I took them out of my 125 so my Geophagus 'tapajos' could breed in peace.
20 neons
12 otos
6 dwarf cories (pygmaeus and habrosus)
1 vaillanti chocolate gourami
And I'd like to add:
1-2 more vaillanti
2-3 scarlet badis
maybe a trio of apistos?

I will try to get some pictures within the next few days.

What do you think so far?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Great ideas, some good quality driftwood would go far also. Can't wait to see some pics. What kind of equipment are you using?

You sound like you were in a boat similar to mine... I let my 55gal go to pasture and just resurrected it a month ago.

I just posted a journal on it today over here! I'll follow yours if you follow mine!

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oops! I forgot to list the equipment!

Filtration
2 AC 70

Lighting
Catalina T5HO 3x54 watts

CO2
10lb tank from GLA
Atomic CO2 diffuser from GLA

Also... My new otos are doing really well. It has only been a couple of days, but they're eating all the brown algae, and I put in a romaine lettuce leaf in yesterday. I heard it takes them awhile to realize it's there.

As for the neons....they all died but 3. I don't even know what to think. They all lived through the night, and throughout the day, one by one, they all died and got stuck to the filter. My only thoughts are that it's either the CO2 (though I put it on low yesterday) or the fish weren't strong enough to avoid the filter intakes. I don't think it's the filter because some of the fish died and were just floating in random places. What happened?! I feel bad, like it might've been my fault, but I've never had that experience before. I've also never kept neons. I always go for larger tetras. :icon_cry::icon_cry:

I just don't think I can go spend another $30 on neons again, and I don't want to end up killing them on accident!

Edit: just checked the tank, and ALL the neons are dead. Otos and the other resident fish look as happy as can be.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Were the filters already running, or were they allowed to dry out when the tank was down? If they dried out then the Bacteria that handles the Nitrification process dies, so the tank needs to Cycle again!

So I would test the water for Ammonia and Nitrite to see what levels they are at. Neons are very sensitive fish and usually can't Handel the cycle of a new tank. AS for the rest of the fish keep a close eye on them and do water changes if the Ammonia or Nitrite get to high.

If the filters were still running I would still do the ammonia and nitrite tests, because that many fish added to a tank at one time could be too much for the filters to handle! Aquariums can only Handel the number of fish as there is bacteria for, and when you add a bunch of fish at one time the bacteria that is there can't get rid of the toxins put out by the large bio load, so you will get a ammonia spike, and this can kill fish as well!

So do some water tests, and if You don't have the tests kits most Local Fish Stores will do a water test for Ya if Ya bring them so of Your tank water.

Hope this helps!
Drew

·
Registered
781 Posts
You might have known everything I said, but just thought it might help Ya out! NO insult was ment!!!
Drew

P.S. I can't wait for pics too, as I LOVE to see others 50/55g tanks to give me some Ideas to help me decide on a Scape!!! ;))

Have Fun and Good Luck with the fish!!!
Drew

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No offense taken! I did let the filters dry out, but then I used seeded filter medium after I set the tank up again. I've had the 10 larger tetras, the dwarf cories, and the vaillanti chocolate in there for two weeks now. I will do extra water changes since I added so many fish though. I guess I wasn't thinking too well.... i doubt that ammonia and nitrite would hit them that fast though. Overnight? It usually takes a few days to increase though. I also figured that 50 gallons was big enough to really dilute any ammonia produced. Also, I'm sure having plants and CO2 helps to consume the ammonia.

I could be wrong though. I'll test the water when I get home tonight, and I'll post the results. I might need a new kit though. The one I have is over a year old.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Do you plan on staggering the lighting? That seems like quite a bit of light. Good to hear that your otos are doing well :icon_smil

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess I could use just two bulbs for awhile, until things are really stable. Then maybe I can add the third if I need it.

Otos still doing great! Does that mean I'm past the critical period then? What am I going to do with 13 otos?!?!?! I seriously expected half of them to not make it....

Also, I ordered a new API water testing kit since my other one was really old. I'll do a water change today, also. And then....I'll take pictures!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I promised myself that I'd post pics regardless of how good or bad the tank looks. So here we go. The plants on the right are random things which are temporary. Once my Hygro 'araguaia' grows more, I will probably only have that on the right side.

Also, my UG is melting :mad:

I promise my photos will be better next time. I'm just trying to get to sleep as soon as I can because I have to wake up at 3:30 tomorrow for work. So...early.

happy otos:

My hygrophila 'araguaia' a few weeks ago, before I moved and everything melted:

·
Registered
781 Posts
The right side is looking really good! And the ottos look happy! LOL

On the Neons I was thinking maybe since the other fish had been in there, then they were used to the water parameters, and the neons got put in during the middle of the cycle. Maybe??? I know Neons can be VERY DELICATE too!!! Your guess is as good as mine! The other fish are looking very well, so I would just keep on doing what Ya are for now, and after Your test kits get in and test everything out to see where you are! Hopefully your UG will bounce back soo too!

So far I really like the way the plants are doing, besides the UG. AS for all of the Ottos just make sure they have plenty to eat and they will be OK! Mine like Algae Wafers, as they have totally cleaned up my 10g QT. The wafers keep them fat and sassy! ;)

Well Good Luck with the UG, and keep up the great work!
Drew

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, everyone!

Also, I think I realized that the wood "bridge" and trident fern probably would look better if it was moved to the left. At this point though, that would be a huuuuge hassle. Maybe I'll just let things be for now, and I can think of moving it over later.

As for the neons being added mid-cycle, I suppose it's possible, though I wouldn't have expected them to die that quickly. It was a seeded filter and the otos are still all doing well. Then again, we won't really know unless I test the water.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think I have decided on some Dicrossus maculatus as my centerpiece fish. Ideally, I'd have one male and three females. If wet spot doesn't have enough in stock, I might go with filamentosus instead.

What about discus? Would this tank be appropriate? pH is 6.6-6.8 and my hardness is lower than 2.

·
Registered
781 Posts
WOW,

I have never seen the Dicrossus maculatus before, and they are SWEET!!! After reading on them a little bit, they seem to be pretty tough to breed, but who says Ya have to breed them! Their faces look very cool! Like a old man thinking about something, maybe? If Ya can get them I would say go for it!

AS for discus, they are ALWAYS COOL! I have never had the guts to try them out, but mainly because of our liquid rock water and the cost too. I WILL have some one day, but I am waiting to get a bigger tank! At least a 75g or a 90g tank in 48" length!

I say GO FOR WHAT YA WANT AND CAN AFFORD!!!!

AS for the "Dream", I often do the same thing, because I sleep in my Recliner (due to my Bad Spine), and the 55g is directly beside me! LOL SO I tend to have a bunch of dreams about my tank!!! ;) BUT even with all those dreams I still can't figure a scape I want to go with!!! GGGRRRR but that is another story.

Stay with it and hopefully the UG will pull through!
Good Luck!
Drew

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Confirmed!

I ended up choosing Dicrossus filamentosus, and I should have 1 male and 3 females in my tank by Friday :biggrin: And yep, I wasn't planning on breeding them. Since this is a community tank, it would be impossible anyway.

I also got 8 neon tetras to see if I can keep them alive this time. I also got my hands on some Corydoras hastatus! I will have 6. And as I had hoped, one more vaillanti chocolate gourami.

That's it for now!

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Neons all lived, and the Dicrossus are doing great!

I tested the water two weeks ago as I promised (sorry for the late update), and here's what I got:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 40 (eek!)

maybe not enough plant mass to use up the nitrate I was dosing, plus having fish in there producing nitrates?

Also... I have a BBA problem. I noticed that the sun shines straight through a window near the tank, and I'm thinking that is part of the problem. I HOPE.

Someone stole my camera out of my luggage last week, which is why I haven't posted updated photos. I will post some shortly--hopefully by tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts