1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tank has been set up for a couple weeks now. Here are the specs:

Equipment:
Tank: Aqueon 15G (24x12x12)
Lighting: Current Satellite Plus Pro 24" fixture, currently at 60% for 8 hours per day
Filtration: AC 50
Heater: Fluval 50W
CO2: GLA regulator and 5lb cylinder, 4 BPS

Substrate: play sand
Hardscape; spider wood, seiryu stones, river gravel

Fish/inverts:
TBD

Plants:
Trident java fern
H. pinnatifida
Cryptocoryne wendtii 'bronze'
Hygrophila 'araguaia'
Blyxa japonica
Hydrocotyle 'japan'
Anubias nana 'petite'
Bucephalandra 'mini velvet'
Christmas moss
Fissidens
HC

Maintenance:
Ferts: EI
Water changes: about 50% weekly

FTS (right after first trim and re-plant):

Hardscape:

Tank last week prior to first trim:

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
I've liked that size tank for a while now. My lease limits us to 10g or less.
You have access to many bulbs that I don't plus the extra 2" front to back.
Gives you more room for that "scape" which looks nice.
You must be doing something right because the plant growth looks good.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do love the dimensions of this tank, too. It was not as easy to find as I expected. I think it is an extra 4" front to back compared to a standard 10G. I have been slowly decreasing the lighting and dosing excel because I have a little bit of hair algae in the tank. It looks a little bit better already. I hope things stay under control in there.

I'll have to take a better pic next time. The tank looks a lot more messy in the photo than in real life, if that's even possible. I'll have to clean up the right side before the next update pic.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For stocking, here's what I'm thinking:

8 Boraras brigittae
2-3 Dario Dario
2-3 Otocinclus

But I am also considering Corydoras habrosus and sparkling gourami for this tank.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Beautiful tank! Love the hardscape.

Can't go wrong with the brigittae. I had ten in a 10g. They're such beautiful little things but I wish I had gone with a larger shoal as I hadn't realized just how tiny they are until I got them.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Beautiful tank! Love the hardscape.

Can't go wrong with the brigittae. I had ten in a 10g. They're such beautiful little things but I wish I had gone with a larger shoal as I hadn't realized just how tiny they are until I got them.
Oh. Well that is helpful. Maybe I'll go with more than 8.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeah, they're pretty small. The best visual aid I can give is that if you were to tie three or four together the bundle would barely be the size of an adult neon tetra in terms of girth.

I had ten of them with ten pygmy cories in a 10g...I could probably have added another three or four and everyone would have still been comfortable :)

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tank is doing well, except that I have amphipods eating my HC. No fish in the tank yet but I will be going to my LFS this weekend to stock a few. I'm hoping that fish will thin out the population significantly.

I'm open to any suggestions about the scape. I like it but don't love it. I'm thinking to remove the rocks on the left side as well as the crypts because I think they're too big for the tank. That will let the trident fern grow larger and I love the look of a big bunch of trident. Also, once the amphipods are controlled then maybe the HC will grow out better.

Photos (cell phone photos for now...)

Edit: Pictures are crappy. I'll get the real camera out this weekend and take better photos. Either way, I'm no photographer, that's for sure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts