The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What can I do to make sure the gravel I get from my local landscape store will be ready to go into my tank?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it is going to be river gravel. The guy at the landscape store said that is what they put in the bottom of some ponds.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Test it in a bucket of conditioned water for a few days if the reading look good and it's in the 1mm to 3mm range then wash the snot out of it and use it.

Landscaping stores are a great resource, it's worth taking a Saturday to visit all of them around you. You'll be amazed at what you can find.

- Brad

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
any other type of natural looking gravel that someone could recommend for my plants. I would like to go with a smaller size due to having cories.

·
Registered
66 Posts
go to homedepot, and get the pea gravel, or river gravel! the pea gravel is smaller... it has alot of mud on it when you buy it so it has to be rinsed and rinsed and rinsed...

but for 4$ its look identical to river gravel you would buy at walmart or petco for 20$

also great for NPT tanks.. to cover your mineralized soil.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Aquasoil perfector is a substrate to consider as well. Marketed as a soil additive it is simply a clay gravel with a similar size to pea gravel. I used it in my pond the the roots of my plants are everywhere!

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Ordinary pool filter sand can look very "natural" depending on what area of the country you are in. That sand isn't controlled for color, just other properties. Mine is a very natural, but light color.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts