The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having to dose about 7ppm PO4 via KH2PO4, about every 3-4 days to keep a detectable amount in the water. I switched to Landen Soil about 2 1/2 weeks ago and I'm wondering if it's okay to continue this amount of dosing?
Also, I'm having a larger than expected diatom cycle, should I just continue to wait this out or make adjustments?

Thanks for any insight,
Mike

***I forgot to mention, I'm front loading 8ppm PO4 with my weekly water change.

·
Registered
296 Posts
When I swapped over to Landens I noticed it was a sponge but I never changed my dosing regime because of it. I wouldn’t chase what you can measure regarding po4 as I always looked at it as yes, it is being absorbed by my substrate, but is being saved there for my plants to use. That may not be 100% correct but I just let my plants tell me what they need. If you are seeing some issues with your plants at your normal dosing amount then increase as you need. 8 is a decent amount to start with. I always aimed for 3-5ppm for my 100ish par tanks with a full plant load but each tank is different of course. Just watch your plants is the best advise I can give you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I swapped over to Landens I noticed it was a sponge but I never changed my dosing regime because of it. I wouldn’t chase what you can measure regarding po4 as I always looked at it as yes, it is being absorbed by my substrate, but is being saved there for my plants to use. That may not be 100% correct but I just let my plants tell me what they need. If you are seeing some issues with your plants at your normal dosing amount then increase as you need. 8 is a decent amount to start with. I always aimed for 3-5ppm for my 100ish par tanks with a full plant load but each tank is different of course. Just watch your plants is the best advise I can give you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Will do, thank you. The plants are starting to take off, but the diatoms are a bit faster at the moment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts