The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After I set up my 90P earlier this Summer , my Mom showed interest in the tank. I asked if she would like me to set up a tank for her and she said yes. She was having construction done in her home where the tank was going so I took the opportunity to get a head start on the build and start it at my house. I had about a month to get it ready. Here's a look back at what I ended up setting up for her.

JULY 24 2022

I received a Landen 30C tank and Aquabrite30 RGB+W LED light fixture. The light fixture is pretty nice, it has an all aluminum body with integrated legs. It has an inline controller in the power cord that has a very basic timer, a dimmer control and a button that lets you select RGB, white light, or a mix of both. More on the light later.

Rectangle Wood Flooring Floor Art

ONE WEEK LATER...

I started plotting out the hardscape with seiryu stone and Malaysian driftwood.

Automotive tire Gas Wood Automotive exterior Metal

For filtration I just went with a simple small internal filter. I replaced the included carbon with Purigen.

Wood Food Crocodile Alligator Machine

AUGUST 4 2022

I added substrate, Fluval stratum in the back and Landen sand up front.

Extinction Art Wood Display case Fossil

Plants are here too!

Plant Pet supply Organism Terrestrial plant Aquatic plant

I originally wanted to run the tank kind of like a dry start...

Plant Water Pet supply Terrestrial plant Fish supply

...however after a couple of days I decided the plants weren't looking as happy and I filled the tank up.

Plant Plant community Organism Vegetation Terrestrial plant

Water Plant Pet supply Fish supply Aquatic plant

To be continued...

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
AUGUST 22 2022

A couple weeks have passed and I added the first fish. A couple Sparkling Gouramis, and later in the week Ember Tetras and Blue Velvet Shrimp.

Plant Underwater Insect Marine biology Wing

Arthropod Green Insect Organism Decapoda

AUGUST 26 2022

A full tank shot.

Plant Plant community Green Terrestrial plant Vegetation

And a shrimp shot!

Plant Flower Leaf Terrestrial plant Vegetation

AUGUST 30 2022

Back to the light fixture. I ended up buying a third party controller for the light that plugs in in-line with the power cord and existing controller. It adds more control over the timer and the ability to ramp up/down the lights. The dimming ability is also much more sensitive. The sunset feature is pretty cool!

Plant Amber Orange Window Organism

SEPTEMBER 10 2022

My final day with the tank. Today we drain it and move it to my Mom's house. Everything went off without a hitch. I saved all of the water so the fish didn't seem to notice too much of a change.

Plant Nature Botany Organism Terrestrial plant

Plant Plant community Botany Vegetation Terrestrial plant

Plant Plant community Botany Nature Terrestrial plant

Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I like it very much and what a nice setup for your Mom! I hope she enjoys it very much and keep us posted on how it progresses.

Reactions: Lance Uppercut

·
Registered
20 Posts
Did you take this last picture with the filter turned off? On a tank this size, I find that my small internal filters have WAY too much flow. Floaters end up being blown over to one corner, the fish (guppies) become stressed. The filters are rated for 10 gallons, and I'm putting them in a 20 gallon long; still too much. Truthfully, the aquarium is fine without it, but I'm interested in how yours works. Thanks. btw....it's really pretty what you've done. I like it a lot.

Water Vertebrate Plant Nature Botany

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you take this last picture with the filter turned off? On a tank this size, I find that my small internal filters have WAY too much flow. Floaters end up being blown over to one corner, the fish (guppies) become stressed. The filters are rated for 10 gallons, and I'm putting them in a 20 gallon long; still too much. Truthfully, the aquarium is fine without it, but I'm interested in how yours works. Thanks. btw....it's really pretty what you've done. I like it a lot.

View attachment 1047291
No the fliter is turned on but I have the spraybar angled upwards near the surface. I had the same filter on a shallow 5 gallon though and I know what you're talking about. It was way too strong and created issues. I ended up getting rid of it and running a small canister filter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts