The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if any of my fellow TPT-ers also have pet Hermit Crabs. If so, post some specs on here.

I actually have 2 right now, going to get a 3rd or a 4th one tomorrow when I rebuild their setup. I have them in one of the 20qt (about 5 gallons) shoe boxes and will upgrade to a 10g soon. The 20qt tote has the footprint of a 10g, but half the height, so not much climbing space. The upgrade will probably happen in a few months once I know how to take care of these awesome creatures!

How about you?

Feel free to post pics!

·
Prodigious Plant Pundit
5,403 Posts
Well, I just took care of my obnoxious neighbors' abused, plastic tank hermit crabs with their neon green and pink shells while they were off at their beach house. And I used to have one named Snappy when I was little. Like 6 or 7 years old. But that's about it.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I used to keep these, make sure you have deeep substrate for molting. And have a fresh water dish and also a saltwater dish. That's the few things people don't do so it makes they're lives shorter. Just my two cents!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I did have hermit crabs at one time! I had them in a 20 gallon long with a section blocked off for kind of a salt water bay.
This is what it looked like at one point:

Stacked up some grapevine and cholawood for climbing. I loved that you could get pretty creative with the way you set up their tank. :)
(Dunno if you'd like a care guide but this site was pretty informational: http://www.crabstreetjournal.com/xoops/ )

You can get spare shells at Hobby stores, just make sure you sterilize them good. There was a website I'd use but I can't think of the name of it now. I'll try to find the link later if you'd like.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im thinking of upgrading to a 10g or an Exo-Terra 12 - 12 - 18 for like $60 and planning to have like a beach area kind if thing

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
I saved a little dude from a 1g plastic container... Anyway, he is currently housed in a 2.5g (only tank I have room for) with a dry run heater (for humidity), pool filter sand substrate, and a freshwater dish. In one corner of the tank I have a small pool of salt water for him as well. I also have some rocks and driftwood for him to climb on. Not the best setup ever, but better then what he had before! He seems pretty happy. I always walk into the room to find him burrowing or climbin on the driftwood.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
I have 2 of them right now - 2 big guys one is about 4 years old now. They are in a 10g tank with about 5 inches of a sand/peat mix, fresh and salt water dishes, food dish, 2 caves, and a bit of driftwood. Both are moulting right now. I've had up to 4 at a time in the past but I've also had deadly shell fights so I keep it at 2 now. I really don't want them anymore but it's the kind of situation where when one dies you feel bad for the lonely guy and get another, etc. etc. etc. and so you really will have them forever at that rate.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You could also get like a large sterilite tub for cheaper and alter it to your preference. :)
That is actually what I have them in right now (well a smaller sterilite tub) but I wanna put it on my desk to be more aesthetically please.

I'm just debating if I should get a 10g or an Exo-Terra 12 x 12 x 18 Terrarium

I saved a little dude from a 1g plastic container... Anyway, he is currently housed in a 2.5g (only tank I have room for) with a dry run heater (for humidity), pool filter sand substrate, and a freshwater dish. In one corner of the tank I have a small pool of salt water for him as well. I also have some rocks and driftwood for him to climb on. Not the best setup ever, but better then what he had before! He seems pretty happy. I always walk into the room to find him burrowing or climbin on the driftwood.
Most people will frown upon the size of the tank, but to me, he seems to be in a better setup than he had before. :)

I have 2 of them right now - 2 big guys one is about 4 years old now. They are in a 10g tank with about 5 inches of a sand/peat mix, fresh and salt water dishes, food dish, 2 caves, and a bit of driftwood. Both are moulting right now. I've had up to 4 at a time in the past but I've also had deadly shell fights so I keep it at 2 now. I really don't want them anymore but it's the kind of situation where when one dies you feel bad for the lonely guy and get another, etc. etc. etc. and so you really will have them forever at that rate.
So far no fights happening from mine but they are different sizes so I think that's what's actually preventing the fight. I'm not really looking forward to the molting parts as that would probably end up stressing me out in the long run!

I think I'm gonna stick with 4, but not sure what setup I want. GRR..

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've never ran into any shell fights. Just make sure you have plenty of appropriate sized shells for them to choose from and I would think you'd avoid those issues.
I would go for the most space. They'll happily climb, and you can make multiple levels for them as well.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, i ended up picking up a 12 x 12 x 18 exo terra. Figures if the hermits dont make it, i can put a crested gecko or something in there.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
So, i ended up picking up a 12 x 12 x 18 exo terra. Figures if the hermits dont make it, i can put a crested gecko or something in there.
I like your train of thought there. :proud:

·
Registered
102 Posts
I used to keep hermit crabs, but gave them to a school teacher when I moved a few years ago. I had 4 species from checking the pet stores habitually for when they accidentally shipped other crabs. I kept them in a 20 gallon. Had about 8 crabs and they had tons to do. Would take them out at night and let them run around. The Ecuadorians were so fast!

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have 4 Purple pinchers and was thinking of getting another 1 or 2 Ecuadorians. Gotta just build more hiding places for them.

·
Registered
129 Posts
A college of me has hermit crabs in her room. She keeps them with her anoles. There is coconut husk on the bottom, as well as some sand (I think). There is also a couple of larger plants - both the anoles and the crabs like to climb. I know that she mists the tank regularly.
I'll try to post a picture next week, as well as ask her what she does for them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts