The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to the hobby and have been learning a lot on this forum - now I have a question:

I have a planted fluval spec v with a few cherry shrimp and just added five lampeye killis 2 days ago. I ended up with one male (larger body and longer fins with stronger coloration) and four females. The male herds the females into one corner of the tank and holds them there most of the time except when they are all eating. None of the females look stressed or injured as and they all seem to eat the same amount. Will this be stressful for the females long term? I don't know enough about fish to tell if it's just how these guys behave or if the male is a bully. I am not trying to breed them so if the females would be happier without being chased I will try to return the male to my lfs.

These are the water parameters just in case it is relevant:

Temp 70°F
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate less than 5ppm
pH 7.0
KH 3
GH 6

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Lampeyes like big schools. I have 15 of them in a 20L.. along with a small school of 6 Silver tip tetras and 6 panda corydoras. (Now bear in mind my 20L is on a huge central system... so although the fish are in the confined to the dimensions of a 20L , they benefit from about 30 gallons as their share of the water. The schooling behavior from my lampeyes is really nice....

it's a densely planted aquarium w/ a pH of about 6.5, KH of 2 and GH of 4, temp of 78.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lampeyes like big schools. I have 15 of them in a 20L.. along with a small school of 6 Silver tip tetras and 6 panda corydoras. (Now bear in mind my 20L is on a huge central system... so although the fish are in the confined to the dimensions of a 20L , they benefit from about 30 gallons as their share of the water. The schooling behavior from my lampeyes is really nice....

it's a densely planted aquarium w/ a pH of about 6.5, KH of 2 and GH of 4, temp of 78.
Thank you for replying! I wish I had not made the rookie mistake of getting an aquarium I now realize is really small, I added some water lettuce and more stem plants, hopefully the hiding places will help for now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts