The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone

I have a issue, and need some advice. I picked some really neat local plant from the river/lake near me to do a native 10G planted tank with no live stock in it.

Just something to put in my tiny office to make it a little relaxing.

I took the plants that I picked, and when I put the bucket into a clear bin I saw a bunch of fry.

I feel bad now, but they are the size of tiny ants so I could not see them.

Should I try to raise them? I have all the food for them( micro worms egg etc)

When they are bigger I would have to find a home for them, since I don't own anything bigger than 55gal.

I don't even know if they are fish, they might be tad poles.

Should I try to raise them, or should I bleach the plants like I had original planned?

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Do you have pictures to show what these "Fry" look like?

I have a lake house in Upstate, NY and there are so many Vallisnerias, Hornworts and Cambombas that I'd like to put in my tank but I'm always afraid of contaminants coming into the tank where I don't want them.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Depending on what species of fish they might be, you might not have to re-home them. If they are sticklebacks, they would make a great addition to a 55 native tank...

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
A fellow hobbyist from Green Bay? Whoa! Small world. Are you ever in Advanced Aquarium Systems on Broadway?

I definitely wouldn't bleach it, unless the fish happen to be invasive. Just rear them and if they turn out to be something huge or unkeepable, put them back(?) The crayfish may not be the best idea obviously if you are keeping fish in the tank as well...

EDIT> You aren't a member of GBAS are you?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.