The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got some plants from a lake. I pit some water in the glass cup and now today I see little worms on the glass, they seem to have hairy like things coming from their heads. Too small for pics. Then there are tiny eel things really skinny. Look like underwater pillbugs that are flat. I know the worms are some sort of parasite. What are they?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hydra are small invertebrates. Their tentacles contain thousands of stinging organelles to paralyze their prey which they then pull into their trunk. They only eat things small enough to fit inside their central tube. So, to answer your question, they are not harmful to fish or plants. They're just a cool additions to your tank if you have a magnifying loop. I would, however, be very concerned about collecting more worrisome types of parasites and bacteria that may be harmful to your tank habitat.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yup. it's planaria. will a saltwater dip kill them? the planaria, i mean. the hydra seem pretty cool. it's like a freshwater anemone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.